Pregnant?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pregnant?

• Yes

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
S

Staci

Hi there. My sweet girl has been acting really strange. Shes been nipping at me through the cage and just being more aggressive. Her sister is the same size as when i got her but she has gained a lot! Im not really sure about rat pregnancy so any ideas if she is? Ive done my research about maling her comfy and when to separate boys and girls. I just need someone else's opinion! Photo is attached.

Attachments

• 20190402_034135.jpg
    20190402_034135.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 150
  • 20190402_034140.jpg
    20190402_034140.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 150
What would make you believe she may be pregnant? Was she housed with males? How old is she? How long have you had her? The gestation period is only about 21-24 or so days. Was she with a male in that time period? Also, that cage is WAY too small for one rat, much less two. Do they get outside time? Also, they need plenty of toys/things to do and play with in their cage. They can get cage rage in such a small space, and be aggressive to you, or their cagemates. She's a cutie! I love the black hooded. They look like little bears to me!

What would make you believe she may be pregnant? Was she housed with males? How old is she? How long have you had her? The gestation period is only about 21-24 or so days. Was she with a male in that time period? Also, that cage is WAY too small for one rat, much less two. Do they get outside time? Also, they need plenty of toys/things to do and play with in their cage. They can get cage rage in such a small space, and be aggressive to you, or their cagemates. She's a cutie! I love the black hooded. They look like little bears to me!

Im actually not sure how old. When i got her the guy wasn't able to tell me exactly how old the rats where at the petstore. Ive only had her for about a week. She was housed with males. When i picked her up it doesn't feel like i can feel any babies. Im not actually feeling for them though cause im scared to hurt them if she is. She's been breathing hard and laying down on her sides for about an hour though. Ive been looking up signs of birth and honestly feel lost now because of how many different explanations there are. Even the birthing videos dont really explain. All i know is that it looked like she gad peed herself but it was kinda like mucus if that makes sense. She has it all over the newspaper i gave her. Im not trying to be an irresponsible rat mom its just new to me. Ive been reading up about it as much as i can. :( this was just a cage i put her in because i had read about if she's in a cage with a buddy she can become aggressive towards her and that they could fight over babies. I took her levels out just incase she is and babies dont go flying off them. I even made the girls a bridge to go in the cage. And they have tunnels to run in. They love it :) if you have any words of wisdom please tell me. I just want her to be taken proper care of if she is. This is my first time and i didn't expect it. I'll definitely be careful about separating the boys and girls when they need to be!

Is she stretching out her sides a lot ? Are her nippels clearly visible like she's been removing the hair around them ?

When in labor, she will scrunch up, then stretch out, for most of the labor. She will also grind her teeth. If she started showing signs of labor, and has bled any, but not delivered within an hour, you need to take her to the vet. One of the babies may be stuck in the birth canal, and that can cause her to bleed out, go into shock and kill babies and mom. I've seen it happen. Having babies is very dangerous, and a big risk on mom's life. She needs plenty of material to make a nest out of. Shredded paper towels, an empty clenex box, some soft fleece scraps. Nothing with threads. Those could wrap around babies necks, and kill them. Also threads can wrap around mom's tail, toes, etc and cause constriction traumas. Unscented toilet paper is also good. Any signs of birth yet? Also, you may not feel the babies in her tummy. And if she eats one of them, don't be surprised. Rats are prey animals, and cull the weak or sick to help the healthy ones. There are plenty of threads on here about pregnancy and birth. Also, check out www.ratguide.com there is lots of good info on there about birthing and health stuff.

Back