Pregnant with Attitude

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trippeth

I have a rat that i'm pretty sure is pregnant. I adopted her from a girl who had her with boy ratties in the same house.
She told me she wanted to rehome her because she didn't want any oopsie litters. I think it was too late.

She was a nice girl for about a week. Then she started to develop a little belly and a brand new attitude.

The other girl she was housed with i'm pretty sure is NOT pregnant. No changes in attitude no body changes at all.

Here in the past couple of days...at least 3 times a day... she is attacking her cage mates. A few times pulling nice little puffs of fur from her former buddies. No bite wounds or blood of any sort though.

Also she doesn't want me messing around with the cage or her anymore either. She gave me a nice little warning bite on the pinky the other day. Didn't break the skin...just a warning to leave her alone I believe.

My question is.... Should I remove her now or wait till she is further along? I'm scared that the fighting could get worse and I wont be right there to stop it like before. I'm also worried about her being alone though! :panic:

Oh dear, from the subject line, I thought you meant pregnant with our forum member Attitude. lol

Ok... so ya, her behavior change is due to the fact that she's pregnant. But I would pull her out just yet, I'd wait till she's further along. If you have a scale you can weigh her every day to keep track of her progress.

If I had to guess...I would say she is probably 2 1/2 weeks along. I don't have a scale though. I really wish I did.

I had a preggo rat once before. I think like 8 years ago? She never got snippy with me. All ratties are different though!

She made me want to :sad3: :cry3: when she bit me but I know what it's like to be pregnant and grumpy!

She's just being protective. 2.5 weeks, she must be getting quite big. If you think she might be happier in a cage by herself with lots of bedding for nest building, that might be best then.

Back