Pregnant Rat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rattie Kisses

When can rats get pregnant? I've heard 5 weeks, but I'm not sure.
What type of bedding should you use with a momma rat and her babies?
Is it okay to have an aquarium for the momma and babies to live in until the babies are weaned?

They are separated from boys by 5 weeks to ensure no pregnancies.
Possible between 5 and 6 weeks and certainly after 6 weeks of age.
But girls are much too young to be having babies until at least 4 months of age.
Ratties are considered to be babies until they are 3 months old.

Bedding ... people use hardwood shavings, carefresh, paper and fleece. Whatever you use, it should not have any threads.

Housing ... some people use an aquarium but a large cage with small gage wire is much better.
Babies and mom would need to go into a large cage with small bar spacing by the time the babies were 14 days old.

Really hope your girl is not pregnant.

I have pics of the little boy (which I have to give away because it costs so much to get him fixed), but none of the girl. I certainly will take some and post them! I will also be getting a white (or albino) dumbo sometime this week, so that is even more pics! :thumbup:

If she's just hit 6 weeks, then she probably isn't... but it IS a possibility, so you need to watch closely. The problem is, baby weight gain can sometimes look like a preggers belly.

If you start to think she is pregnant, an aquarium would be okay to use in a pinch. Like SQ said, a cage is better, especially one with a deep pan. Paper towels are one of the best beddings to use for a pregnant mom (who is about to pop, anyway... not necessary earlier on), as it wont stick to the new babies like a wood bedding will. After they get a bit of fuzz anything is fine.

I've never heard that one... I don't know why it would. Unless it causes some scary hormone fluctuation.

BUT, it can be risky as with anyone getting pregnant, especially if the rat is very young or is getting too old. There is always the risk of losing a momma rat while she's giving birth, or if they don't heal up properly afterwards.

ETA: MOST rats don't have this issue and make excellent moms. Always good to know that there are risks though.

Do not use bedding material with babies that contains threads until they are at least 14 days old.
Threads can get tightly wrapped around little limbs and necks .... young babies will not be able to get loose.

Just some info...

Baby rats from 5 to 6 weeks are unlikely to become pregnant from siblings. But if there's an older male, then yes, they can get pregnant, older males are already sexually mature and constantly "looking for it". Baby males 5 to 6 weeks can impregnate a female but only if she's giving off the scent that she's ready so it would have to be an older female, possibly mom.

Back