Pregnant Rat?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The baby is so cute... It might be the way momma is sitting, but is she still getting bigger? Any plans to have her checked out at the vet since she only had one...?

The baby is so cute... It might be the way momma is sitting, but is she still getting bigger? Any plans to have her checked out at the vet since she only had one...?

She was hunched up eating a piece of puppy food I had given her; She's not bigger at all. She's acting completely normal. Not lethargic. No more bleeding. No bloatedness. Perfect appetite. Baby is being fed. There's no need for a Vet at all. If a baby was stuck she would have already died.

Plus that picture wasn't even taken today. It was taken three days ago. The one of just the baby was taken today.

That baby is adorable!!!!

And don't get frustrated, that's the last thing we want to make you!
As fellow rat lovers we're just all worried and caring over your new baby girl and her baby. We don't mean to attack you or imply that you aren't caring for her by not taking her to the vet. It is just very odd for a rat to have just one baby, but not impossible. Keep an eye on her and keep us updated, we love baby rats and baby pictures!!! :)

The wee one is a cutie! Is it a girl or boy? And what is her/his name?

It's really hard to tell right now but through referencing from pictures online of sexing young kits, I have a feeling that it may be male. But you get the best reading of what gender they are once they're 4 weeks old. So that'll be May 22nd :)
I haven't decided on a name for it yet, I'm going to let my little brothers name it. If it ends up being female, she'll stay with momma but if it's male then he will be getting his own cage in my brother's room. That's far enough away so he won't be able to smell the female once he's older.
I'll try to get a good picture later and see if any of you guys can help me judge it's gender!! It's markings are really well placed too! It's going to be one cute little rat!

If it's a boy, you could get him neutered. That way he can stay with his momma and they will keep each other company, as rats hate to live alone.
If you post a picture if the rattie's bits, we could try and help sex it. :)

I do believe he is a male. Even if he was, it wouldn't be too hard to bond a young rat with him and he wouldn't be alone. Momma would accept a young female as a buddy too. There are always rats who need homes.

2m3sr3n.jpg

Hmmm, hard to tell at this point. Any nipples?

There doesn't seem to be any sign of any at all!! According to various websites, the best time to decide gender is at 4 weeks old. The males will have visible testicles and the females will have nipples. If he does end of being a male for sure then I'll separate them when he is 4.5 weeks old.

There doesn't seem to be any sign of any at all!! According to various websites, the best time to decide gender is at 4 weeks old. The males will have visible testicles and the females will have nipples. If he does end of being a male for sure then I'll separate them when he is 4.5 weeks old.
Yeah it is a thought to separate them, but then you'll have a lonely mama to deal with.

How about instead of neutering him, you spay the mama, if you can afford it? She is pretty young, and it could help out loads, unspayed females are way less likely to develop tumors, all tumors. Also, thay can't get pyrometrias or other uterine/ovary problems, considering they don't have any!

Yeah it is a thought to separate them, but then you'll have a lonely mama to deal with.

How about instead of neutering him, you spay the mama, if you can afford it? She is pretty young, and it could help out loads, unspayed females are way less likely to develop tumors, all tumors. Also, thay can't get pyrometrias or other uterine/ovary problems, considering they don't have any!

It's looking like the baby may be female! I can notice nipple markings on it now. It's also developing some lovely agouti/brown and white fur :)
And that is definitely a possibility regarding spaying, I'll look into it!

I haven't decided on one yet! I'm waiting to see how her personality develops and go from there! I'll probably let you guys help me decided though hahah.
How about something veggie related, too?
Lima bean, snap bean, chickpea, green bean, chive, parsnip, sweet potato, sprout, .... :love7:

Back