Pregnant Rat & Spotting Question

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldsGal

Hey all,

I have a situation where an adopter had a male neutered and took him home from the rescue with strict instructions that he was not to have contact with her female until 3 weeks were up. Well she thought she was following everything just fine. The male was in a cage that had wire mesh on it to prevent any escapes. To her knowledge they had not had any contact before his 3 weeks were up except for touching noses a few times while she was holding one or the other.

Her female rat is a 100% free range and her plan was to let the male free range as well once the 3 weeks were up. Well somehow or another we suspect that her female got into the males cage and back out without her knowing it as she is now very much pregnant. Her belly is huge and she is making nests so according to the timing she definately got preggos before the 3 week period.

I am very upset by this whole thing but all I can do now is help her out with as much information as possible. So here is my question....

The rat started spotting this morning and so we figured today was going to be the day. However, since this morning there has been no more blood and no eepers. The female is older possibly close to 2 years old. Is this cause for concern? There is no way to take the rat to an eVet. She has already called all of the eVets in a 2 hour radious and none of them will see rats. Is it normal for a doe to spot? I am just not sure. I have never had that issue before. Or is this doe in serious condition?

Staci

ETA: The female is bouncing around the cage and manically trying to get out since she is not used to being penned up. But other than the spotting she showed no signs of discomfort at all and is eating, drinking, and pooing just fine.

Ya she took her into the vet on Friday and the vet confirmed pregnancy and said he could feel two babies in there.

Were they moving?...could she be aborting them?

I dont know...:S but i sure hope everything works out for her

Back