Pregnant rat advice please?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MomokoCove

Okay, so my question is what should I look for in a rat to tell if she's pregnant or when she is close to birth? There is a small chance the rat I purchased is pregnant. She is being checked out at the vet but I need any advice. I didn't know she was possibly pregnant sooo I need all the help I can get.

Why would only one of them possibly be pregnant and not both?

Generally, you can weigh them to see steady gains in weight. Their gestation is only 21ish days so you find out quickly.

Also, doesn't the petstore have her? If so, they will keep her while she is pregnant and sell her babies :(.

I don't think they can legally sell the babies because she still owns the girls ... but they may do it anyway.
Plus they may give her meds that are not pediatric friendly :(

Pet stores make you return the rats in order to treat them as they legally can't treat them if they don't own them. Years ago with my first rats I ran into this, and chose to bring my babies to the vets on my own instead.

Dazzle87 said:
Pet stores make you return the rats in order to treat them as they legally can't treat them if they don't own them. Years ago with my first rats I ran into this, and chose to bring my babies to the vets on my own instead.

I am sure you are correct ... but in her other post she said her money was not returned and she still owns them.
That may change as you said, if they treat the two girls.

I spoke to a very kind woman earlier at the store whom had spoke to the manager. I had actually made sure they would not keep the offspring if my girl is pregnant. The reason the one female may possibly be pregnant is they only carry females but do not know off the age the rats are except that they are still pretty young but still old enough to have left the mother safely. The woman did of course tell me if my rat is pregnant she will be coming home still pregnant or not. So, if she has her offspring at the store due to how to long she has be at the vet and on medication then the offspring will be coming home with her. But it is a guarantee they will stay my animals legally since they are being treated by their own vets and my guarantee on them comes with this.

Back