Pregnant Agouti Girl *Babies are here!*

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poisoned

I'm starting her own thread.

She (if possible) looks bigger this evening. No real signs of labor, she is very big and doesn't move much because I imagine it's a load to haul around. But she's alert, and interested in any kind of food I offer. And she's made herself a very comfy big nest.

Hopefully, she will have them overnight and I can stop worrying.

Preggoagouti2_zpsa1c5ed1f.jpg

Woah, she must be so sore lugging all that extra weight around! I can't wait to see her babies!
Sending good vibes to the soon to be mom :)!

She isn't a small girl, either. She must be at least 7-10 months old, unless she is just big (which is possible, I'm sure feeder breeders are going for size). Altogether she is almost the size of a softball. Lets hope they're just big, fat babies, and not a ton of little ones!

Last I checked on her, she's not interested in any food (even a treat), is doing a lot of grooming and rearranging. I really hope she has them soon, I'm getting nervous since she was spotting last night. In fact, you can see some of the blood in the picture by her foot.

I wonder what colors we'll get. I love agoutis. And I will probably be keeping some boys, at least. Maybe a girl pup. Maybe all of them. LOL No. Not really. They already call me the crazy rat lady.

i think i guessed 13 on the other post too. maybe 12, i have a feeling for 15 though.. haahh :S ohhh i dont even know, but i think im gunna stick with 13. same as jo. i can't wait to see the babys! i love how you never know what you're going to get.
send one to me too! a little dumbo agouti would be just precious

How I love aghouti's; only ever had one (never see them anywhere). I will say 15 babies too. Wish you lived closer so I could have a couple of aghouti babies. Your rattie mama is beautiful. Here's to a safe and easy delivery!

Well! I see at least 16 babies, without moving them this morning. All have big milk bands and good lungs by the sound of it. She's doing a good job.

Pics later!

16 babies at a minimum??? :yikes:

Cannot wait to see pictures! If you can have some of momma nursing, I just plain love those... :heart:

My heart is sooo jealous... but my head doesn't entirely envy you. 16 babies??? :panic:

I am SO happy you took that poor momma home!

:joy: Congrats!

Glad mom and babies are doing well!

You probably know this ... but just in case ...
she has more babies then nipples so you will need to keep a close eye on them to make sure all are getting enough milk.
Frequently, mama rats (or else the owner) will divide the babies into two groups (in the same cage) so that mama can move between both groups and all babies in each group will get milk as there will be more nipples then the number of babies in each group.

She keeps moving them about, so maybe that is what she's doing, she first had 13 outside and however many inside, but was obviously feeding both, now she's moved them all inside. But I will keep an eye out for empty bellies. She is very protective (good momma!) so no good pics yet. I only got that picture of that one baby because he rolled away from the others.

Ladybabies1_zps604862d0.jpg

Ladybabies2_zps974dd9c9.jpg

Back