ppl in southern NH or any one with advice, finding mover

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petunia

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I am moving next month and it's become clear that I will not be able to do the move myself in car loads, with just getting a trailer and a few strong guys to move the heaviest stuff (relatives/friends)
I need to hire a mover.
I've never done this before, and I am really scared of getting ripped off, esp over charged by movers who charge by the hour and go slow, or something like that.

I have very little furniture, most of my stuff is just in boxes and some smaller items, a lot of plastic shelves and crap like that. Basically a twin mattress/box spring, two dressers, two desks, one clothes dryer, a table and 4 chairs, and misc household stuff (tv, microwave, etc)

I asked friends for the names of someone they knew/used/trusted but only got one name of a mover I could have afforded- and that mover is no longer in business.
The other mover was way too expensive ($400 flat rate)

I am moving from the 3rd floor (to a first floor) so I know that adds to the cost but I am disabled and on a very low fixed income, and this was an unplanned move, so I am trying to keep the cost as low as possible, you know?

I am pretty flexible on move in date as the landlord has agreed to give me the keys in advance so I can go in and clean (to my standards) and start moving in. Official start date of tenancy is Sept 1st but I hope to be in there at least a week earlier, if not 2 weeks earlier.

Is there anyone who can recommend a good mover in this area? I am only moving less than 5 mins away by car (just under a mile away, I'm pretty sure)

I wouldn't have to have an insured company if I knew someone was trustworthy and wouldn't ruin my stuff or try to steal it- not that I have anything of value but it's valuable to *me* because it's all I have and I can't afford to replace it.

The BBB is no help, and I can't find a referral agency for movers that doesn't list the same movers again and again, and probably all you had to do to be listed was pay them a fee.

I need an independent recommendation or a recommendation from someone who has hired the ppl or company and had a good experience

can anyone help or suggest other ways to find an inexpensive mover?

I am hoping to keep this under $300. For the small amnt of stuff I have, it shouldn't cost much more than $200 but I do understand that the third floor may make a big difference on price.

It's the reason I am moving, my arthritis has gotten so bad I have to get off the 3rd floor!! A half decent place became available in a half decent neighborhood with a pretty decent landlord and I couldn't pass up this opportunity, even though it's not the best timing for me.

thanks for reading, sorry this was so long

If you want, I have access to a truck and strong men who have helped me move in and out of 3rd floor apartments...I don't know if adding another truck and a few more able bodies would help at all...

I am in the process of moving ... I hired "2 guys and a truck" off kijiji. I told them what I had, where I was moving to and got an estimate from them. They charged by the hour. My brother came over and helped carry large items down from my 3rd floor apt. These particular guys were right on with their estimate.
Having one or two guys you know there to help during the move will help keep the movers on track if they need it.

Good luck.
Moving bites.

I would also search craigslist. I'm betting you could find some high school students in need of some extra cash. & like SQ stated, having your own people around, especially some men, will help keep your movers in line & out of trouble. Perhaps just post what you need to have moved and about how long you think it will take, & see if anyone responds to help out.

ps, I know you're feeling quite overwhelmed right now, but I'm still very excited for you. I hope this move turns out to be a wonderful thing for you. & do let me know if you ever need to chat, I'll be more than happy to phone you & catch up.

CardboardCastles said:
If you want, I have access to a truck and strong men who have helped me move in and out of 3rd floor apartments...I don't know if adding another truck and a few more able bodies would help at all...

that would be a HUGE help!! can you PM me your contact information? I have a virus on my computer and am on my sister's computer now, but with no car it's i am only over here when she needs me to dog sit

I can use all the help i can get

i got estimates for movers and it's all way more $$ than i have, and i am in rough shape physically but am doing as much as i can by myself (which is partly why i am in such rough shape)

thank so very much for the offer, this would be fantastic and a huge huge help if it can be worked out with your schedule and my move in date(s)
thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back