Potty training?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

September555

:flushed: Ok...so I have these two new baby girls, about 2 months old. I have their new big cage all set up and they will be moving to it soon. I put a corner litter/potty box in there with the box litter stuff you can buy. The other night the girls were running around and checking their new cage out and the first thing Daisy does is run over into the corner box and grabs a pellet and starts chomping. It said on the box it was non toxic and I assume it is safe or they wouldn't make it for such a reason.

Now the question is, how do you train them to use the potty, or will it be instinct?

I put some of their stinky little :poop: in there so they would see/smell what it may be used for.

Any other suggestions? The last rat I had just used the corner automatically, she didn't have a potty she was just neat and tidy.

It's obviously not possible to do this all the time, but it helps a great deal if you watch them just after they've woken up is best, and when they begin to wander, just before they shuffle backwards into a corner and their tail goes vertical (hehe it's so cute) pick them up and put them in the litter tray. If they try to come out, put them back (only repeat 4 or 5 times, as any more indicates they probably don't need to go) and if they go, give them treats! If this works, you'll be surprised how quickly they get used to the idea (well mine did)

Keep putting the poop in the litter tray, this will really help, if you put every raisin in there.

If after a while they still won't use it, but poo in a corner still, try moving the litter box to that corner and put them in it.

If after a little while they aren't getting the idea, I guess you've got to try harder and persevere or put up with the fact that your living with raisin scatterers and pee-everywherers :think:

You'll need to watch them closely and see which corner they prefer to use as their potty, that's where you'll want your pan, it may be several corners at first.
The important thing is to keep the cage clean of poops, each time you can think of it, go and pick up all the poops and place them in the litter pan.
It may take some time, especially with the girls being so young still.
Young rats are poop machines.

Don't worry about the rattie chewing on the litter, unless it's clumping cat litter. (very bad for rats)

I just find which corner they prefer to use, and toss a box in that corner. Make sure the litter is different from any bedding you may use for them, so they can really see the difference. It's just a matter of time and putting stray poo into the box when you find it. I think girls get the hang of it faster/better than boyos, but you just have to keep on it. Remember that litter training is really only for poops, not for peeing. my girls are great about using their litter box, but they still pee everywhere.

What kind of litter are you using for the litter pan? Unfortunately, just because they sell it for small animals doesn't mean it's at all safe for them. Pine and Cedar bedding are still regularly sold for rodent bedding, and is extremely harmful to them.

My girls like to poo around their wheel so I put the trays under them.

I do however have one or two rats who just go where ever. I think it is my young-ins being rebellious. :twisted: I just pick up their little presents to me and put them in the litter box. Hoping they will get the hint. :wink:

I've tried for nearly 11 months to litter train my boys with very little luck but they are very determined not to be trained :roll: I hope you fair better :lol: good luck and be persistent, I'm still trying :D

Most people have a better success rate when they switch to fabric bedding instead of things using two different types of litter. It's not fool proof, some rats just won't get it.

Thanks for the tips. Java...it was in the hamster section, it looks like little grey balls of cat litter...bit it isnt cat litter, it doesnt smell like anything. I dont recall off hand what it is called I will have to look for sure. It says safe and non toxic. They like to play in it so far....poop and all! We will see.

Yep Java that is it. :) I am at work and didn't have box in front of me to look at it. So it looks harmless. They don't gobble it or anything, just if one runs over and grabs one ball of it and nibbles the other tries it, monkey see monkey do I suppose. :lol: I don't want to say no or anything don't want them to think that thing is bad, I want them to use it not be a forbidden place for them.

The problem is that the clay expands when it's wet. Even small pieces they've just nibbled on can expand to several times it's original size, and can cause alot of problems in their digestive tracts.

Ok I had to reply to this one before I go....is there something else I can use then besides the stuff I already line the bottom of their cage with? I use carefresh bedding in the bottom, some of you on the thread said not to put what you use in both places. So is ther anything else besides that litter stuff?

Thanks

Yesterday's News is a recycled paper litter. You can get a small bag in the small animal section of some ept shops, and you can find a large [30lb] bag in the cat section. Make sure to get unscented.

There's Aspen shavings, which you need to freeze for 48hrs before putting it in with your rats. Wood/paper products [like aspen and carefresh] often carry mites.

Ummm.. Anyone else got more litter ideas?

It's just their using perfumes, Melissa. Since most scents/perfumes aggravate their sensitive resp systems, it's not suggested.

Some people can get away with using regular detergents, fabric softeners, dryer sheets, scented cleaners, scented litters, etc... Meanwhile my girls sneeze for 10 minutes straight when I come into the room from my shower. Even if they didn't have such a reaction, I'd be a bit leery. If we can smell it enough to go 'that's nice,' I would think it'd be like shoving their nose in a perfume bottle.

More litter choices!
There's something called Mews Print [I think] that's a cheaper brand of YN.. Again, it's in the cat litter section.

Some people have had good results with wood stove pellets, just make sure it's not pine/cedar and to freeze it first.

I've heard quite a few bad experiences of rats choking with litters like Swheat Scoop and Cob litters, but there are some people who are able to use it just fine.

Shredded newspaper, make sure the ink isn't toxic. I remember something about soy based inks.. Problem being the rats preferring to play with it than use it as a potty.

That makes sense. I wonder if the scented is the reason Lilly has a red face sometimes. Her skin around her eyes and lips will be a little red, like it is irritated. She doesn't scratch at her face it just looks irritated.

I use regular detergent and fabric softner but it is not a really strong scent and their bedding usually sits around for a few days after it washed so the smell is usually gone by the time I use it in their cage.

It's all dependent on your rats and their own personal quirks. Alot of people seem to be able tog et away with alot more than I can. I've got sensitive lil girlies, hehe.

You could try using the unscented for a bit, see if Lilly's face clears up? I can't really think of anything else other than mites or something that would cause her skin to get irritated. if she's not scratching, mites are sort of out.

Back