potty training the un-potty-trainable

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarunia

hi ya'll, sooo i'm back with yet another question :heart:
my little boys, who are doing better despite their paranoid yet loving mommy, are most difficult to potty train. i say this because i have tried, multiple times. their cage is a rabbit cage with a little shelf at the bottom, and it gets kinda gross when i clean it out (not gonna lie), so i'm getting pretty desperate. can you guys maybe share some stories about how you potty trained yours?! keep in mind that my boys are almost four months, and i've had them since two months i keep trying but to no success :wallbang:
thank you all!!!

Hi! At four months, they are still a little young and still a pooping machine but I'd say it's a good time to do the litter training. So you have a litter pan that contains different litter than the bottom of the cage right? Find the spot where the boys go the most and place the litter pan there. Also, pick up all the errant poops and place them in the litter box, you must do this all the time or they will never "get it" that they must only go in the litter pan. Litter training is not 100%... some get it, while others don't.

I was laughing when I read this because I tried putting litter boxes in my girls' cage (they are a month and a half old) and they all thought that there was some special treat inside so they shoved everything out. Then I took the boxes out and went onto the forum to see if there was anything on age and I couldn't find anything. So when they are four months, is it normal for them to try and eat the poop and bedding that is in their litter boxes or do you take it from them when they try?

:laugh4: i had to laugh when i read those responses, my boys do the EXACT SAME THING. they loved the litter i bought them so much they started sleeping in it....... yeah. let's just say they all got baths, and eventually i started to put it in their sleeping shoe box. i don't think these boys EVER stop pooping. and i haven't figured out why, but they have multiple spots in their cage where they like to poop, then move it into their food dish :sick2: i thought eventually it would bother them, but it doesn't seem to. has anyone else had them happen?

:poop:
... sorry it had to be done

sarunia

My boys absolutely refused to be potty trained. I spent more time gathering errant poo and trying to get them to see the light :doh:

I just clean more and do spot checks *shrugs* Messy lazy boys :heart:

Back