Post Neuter Questions

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chel

I adopted 3 little boys not too long ago, they are about 9 weeks old now. I have never had neutered boys before so maybe I'm asking stupid questions but I need to put my mind at ease.

I was just having out time with my babies when I noticed that Lotus had a red tinge to his fur around his neck. It looks like porph that got spread from grooming so I decided to examine all boys in detail. Briar (the one who previously had abscesses) is completely fine. No questions there. Lotus who had the red tinge around his neck had something sticking out of his bum. I thought it was a little poopie hanging on but it wasn't, it was coming from where he was neutered so I grabbed a kleenex and gave it a little tug and sure enough the whole thing came out, it is about a CM long and greenish in colour, looks like a possible stitch but I thought maybe it is too thick, it is about the same thickness as a string (thicker than say fishing line). It didn't seem to hurt him and none of them are acting like they're in pain, all running around and eating fine and all that. I did notice the two white boys clover and lotus have had a little porph around their noses but nothing extreme.

How should the area where they were neutered look? I tried to take a picture but they are VERY squirmy. Clover and Lotus seem to have more of a... hmm flap maybe is a good word... I don't know what to call it but it is gray in colour whereas Briars you can't even see. I don't think there is pus but with the fur and the squirming it is hard to tell.

Thoughts? anything at all is appreciated!

It could have been a stitch. Sometimes with mine, I'll see a bit hanging for such a long time until one day it's gone.
If he doesn't appear to be in pain or if there's no swelling or redness, I think I'd just leave it be. You could always contact the vet and see what he thinks. He might tell you the stitch he used is the same colour as the one you found.

I just want to second everything Jo has said. Just be careful as if it's a stitch he may have been pulling at the wound.

Back