Post Neuter - Problem w/Snickers VIDEOS added

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dspch911

So the boys had their neuters today and both were still pretty sedated when I picked them up about 4 hours ago. Snickers doesn't seems right. He is standing like a statue most of the time just shaking and whimpering - sounds like he's crying!!! They didn't give them meloxicam before I picked them up so we just gave it to them. We were told to give them both .23 (1.5mg/ml) Snickers weighs 686g Grumpy 735g - Is this the proper dose? Also, I have never seen incisions like these. They look awful kind of like a Y and they shaved them.... I'll try to post pics in a bit if I can get them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is he hanging on the cage bars? breathing ok? I have seen those netuers before. usually they go in at the end of the scrotum but some vets do it long ways from the penis to the end type thing.

Is he hanging on the cage bars? breathing ok? I have seen those netuers before. usually they go in at the end of the scrotum but some vets do it long ways from the penis to the end type thing.

Per our conversation so everyone knows, no he isn't hanging on the cage bars - he is just standing on a shelve staring at me like no one is home and shaking with a yogie in his mouth. Al thinks his breathing seemed slightly labored. He described it as if I don't move it won't hurt as bad. They got 0.07 Midazolam 5 mg/ml and 0.07 Buprenez Injection 0.30 mg/ml. It also says sedative/tranquilizer injection, analgesic injection, and pre anesthetic injection, but doesn't say what those were.

They are eating or I should say he was before I found him like this - I guess I really have only seen Grumpy eating. I would not say they are completely awake yet - both still seem groggy.

Buprenex is a narcotic, Midazolam is a sedative. Your boys are whacked on drugs. Hopefully they will start to feel more normal when they come down off their high. The Metacam should control the pain once the other stuff wears off.

That's what I was afraid of.... This is the first time I've had neuters done at this vet, but Kona had surgery there and didn't have this problem. I felt their tails and they are warm so I don't think he's shaking from being cold, but they have warm stuff to go into if they are. I'm currently down loading the video, but was unable to catch any whimpering noises he has stopped those since we gave the meloxicam.

Great! I have stoned rats!

Buprenex, looked it up and one side effect is involuntary quivering.

Last edited:
Per our conversation so everyone knows, no he isn't hanging on the cage bars - he is just standing on a shelve staring at me like no one is home and shaking with a yogie in his mouth. Al thinks his breathing seemed slightly labored. He described it as if I don't move it won't hurt as bad. They got 0.07 Midazolam 5 mg/ml and 0.07 Buprenez Injection 0.30 mg/ml. It also says sedative/tranquilizer injection, analgesic injection, and pre anesthetic injection, but doesn't say what those were.

They are eating or I should say he was before I found him like this - I guess I really have only seen Grumpy eating. I would not say they are completely awake yet - both still seem groggy.

Does it say what the anesthetic was? Do you know if it was inhaled or injected?

I'm so sorry to read about your poor boys not feeling good after their neuters, hopefully it is just side effects of the drugs and they'll be back to normal soon.
Sending warm comforting vibes.

Did they use gas inhalant for their anesthetic? It sure doesn't sound like it.

I'm not sure, they did when we had Curley and Finn PTS. I'm at work so I don't have the bill with me to see what is on it. I list the medication that was specifically documented.

About 3am I heard a strange squeek so out of bed and down the stairs I went. Snickers was still on the shelf just looking at me. I gave some cheerios which he didn't take, but as I gave them out to the other boys that were awake I heard a bunch a squeeking!! Snickers obviously decided to get off the shelf and Grumpy had him pinned and was standing on his belly. After I separated them Snickers went back to the shelf and just stood them constantly whimpering like before. So I separated them for the night putting Snickers in the travel cage - which is not easy to attach a water bottle to.

Videos from last pm

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X750EuPaaHM[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK1qEo7M1MI[/ame]

Last edited:
I hope your boys fell better soon! When Teddy (RIP) got neutered he was pretty stoned still the next day, he started coming around mid-afternoon. But he was also 21 months old when he got neutered, so it took him longer to be fully conscious.

They still don't seem themselves and I had to go out and buy another cage (just another small one) since I didn't want to put them back together again just to fight. We will try the re-intros on Saturday during out time.

Al thinks Grumpy was just kicking his butt as a way to say "this is your fault cause you couldn't behave now I lost my b****" :laugh:

Some boys will fight when they are in pain. I seen it here a couple of times. I dont like those injection meds at all. I hated having a groggy rat when I came home. I had a girl chew her nipple off. It was horrible. Our surgeries are much better with none of those. Metacam keeps the pain down so they dont sit there hurting after but I cannot do that groggy stuff anymore. .

Some boys will fight when they are in pain. I seen it here a couple of times. I dont like those injection meds at all. I hated having a groggy rat when I came home. I had a girl chew her nipple off. It was horrible. Our surgeries are much better with none of those. Metacam keeps the pain down so they dont sit there hurting after but I cannot do that groggy stuff anymore. .

Perhaps I should use the old vet for the neuters they did do a good job there, but Kona had no problems after the lump removals. I'll ask more questiond Tuesday on their follow up appointment.

The hubby has them out right now with their cage mates since we plan on putting them all back together today if things go well. From what I hear Grumpy is being a butt head!:evillaugh: Throttle is being a puff ball

Excellent! (Well, sort of :giggle: )

I was just told the boys are up to their old tricks and are trying to scent everything again. Apparently, the hubby thinks the neuter works immediately! The other boys though, are have none of it and putting them in their place. Some day there will be complete harmony in that cage.

Back