Possible new rattie introductions??

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Georgie

Hi all!! I hope this is a quick easy question!! I had to put to sleep my baby girl yesterday 20months (to tumour I think) :-( I had been so focused on her I hadn’t really thought about her dominant sister Elfie who groomed Jasper a lot and would try ‘drag’ her around the place (which Jasper did not like) etc and Elfie has been looking for her. Do I need to get her a cage mate or will she be too aggressive (even if introduced slowly). I’m still grieving but I want to do what’s best for Elfie and don’t want her to die of stress or maybe just give it a little while see if she adapts (I do realise they are pack animals tho)?? You were all so wonderful with Jasper, but I’m sorry for being a pain asking!! hopefully by learning I can start helping others later too!!! X

Attachments

• DEA2BCEE-7D2E-4858-8DA9-4A51E2F332EE.jpeg
    DEA2BCEE-7D2E-4858-8DA9-4A51E2F332EE.jpeg
    47 KB · Views: 224
I’m so sorry about your loss. It’s such a difficult thing to have to decide these things at the time. I remember when one of my first two died and I was going out to get a new rat while I felt like a zombie from crying for the past few days.
It really depends on whether you want to continue having rats. Leaving them alone for a little while isn’t the worst thing you can possibly do so don’t worry too much about that, especially if you can spend a lot of time with her. If you don’t want more rats and she seems to adjust well to being alone, she will probably fine being on her own unless she ends up seeming lonely.

If you do want to continue having rats, it would be a good idea to get two younger females because young rats will adjust more easily to new rats and circumstances, and are also easier to introduce. The girls should be at least 2 months old I believe to be able to protect themselves from Elfie if she does turn out to be aggressive towards them.
I hope you and Elfie are feeling better about the loss of Jasper soon.

Thanks so much for that info :) That’s a good idea, I was worried I was hurting her more by leaving her alone, but although I’m out most days I’m here every night and her cage is next to my bed which is open when I’m there so I’ll be very attentive when I’m home (unfortunately tho she’s not very bonded to me, Jasper was) she actually has minor respiratory issues so maybe I’ll get them looked into and addressed and see how she goes, but I would love more and want to give a loving home, and will follow your wise advise, but certainly don’t want to be going through what I went through with Jasper every few months - just emotionally speaking - so I hope that sounds sensible and not selfish.

It absolutely doesn’t sound selfish, and it’s completely okay if you decide to stop having rats for now after Elfie and then get them again after taking a break. Definitely get the respiratory issues looked into between introducing or getting more rats. You might want to get a couple or trio of young girls now and then sort out Elfie’s respiratory issues while you’re quarantining the new girls in a separate cage.
I really enjoy having three rats at a time because there are at still two to keep each other company if something happens to the other one, but you can’t predict these things and having several rats of a similar age does not mean that one will always have company. As much as we try out best to prevent it, one will almost always end up alone unless you keep getting rats forever.
There’s a lot of guilt about leaving rats without a friend, whether it’s for a few months or the rest of their lives, and I think it’s ridiculous to have to feel that while you’re already missing your beloved pet.

I am so very sorry for your loss.
If you have Jasper's body, you can let Elfie see her, smell her etc …… I do that with my rats and I think, like people, it can help to say goodbye. But many people do not do this so do not worry if you can't.

If you are not going to continue having rats for long, you might adopt an older rattie that is being rehomed.
Otherwise I would suggest getting at least 2 same sex younger ratties - if you spay or neuter then they could be girls or boys (https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/why-spay-or-neuter-rats.35402/)

Babies need to be at least 8 weeks old (10 weeks is safer) before starting physical intros. There are established intro steps (https://www.ratshackforum.com/threa...ps-used-when-putting-new-rats-together.32368/) and there is info on joinrats.com as well

I am so very sorry for your loss.
If you have Jasper's body, you can let Elfie see her, smell her etc …… I do that with my rats and I think, like people, it can help to say goodbye. But many people do not do this so do not worry if you can't.

If you are not going to continue having rats for long, you might adopt an older rattie that is being rehomed.
Otherwise I would suggest getting at least 2 same sex younger ratties - if you spay or neuter then they could be girls or boys (https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/why-spay-or-neuter-rats.35402/)

Babies need to be at least 8 weeks old (10 weeks is safer) before starting physical intros. There are established intro steps (https://www.ratshackforum.com/threa...ps-used-when-putting-new-rats-together.32368/) and there is info on joinrats.com as well
I didn’t realise about the letting them smell the body bit and had already made arrangements. I still want ratties, I’ll just make sure I do it the right way and the right time for Elfie and make sure her health is on track!! Ironically I’d just got them another house upgrade which is huge with 3 levels to make it a bit easier for them to get around the levels and their hammocks and it arrived 2 days ago, bitter sweet. Thank u as always for the info, always good stuff :)

Attachments

• 9EACABD0-CDC1-4E76-A38C-A68FCE096121.jpeg
    9EACABD0-CDC1-4E76-A38C-A68FCE096121.jpeg
    68.6 KB · Views: 209
Back