Possible Mites on nursing mothers and pups

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Melinda Fickes

Hello everyone.

I have 2 female rats (sisters) and they each have a litter of babies. They are housed in the same cage. The mothers and the babies have little orange spots on them and they do seem to move. I have given the mothers a bath with baby wash. ( mothers also have hair lose). I did not with the babies due to the age of the litters. I switched from recycled newspapers to pine bedding. Since noticing the orange things I went back to the newspaper. What can I do to get rid of them on the mothers and their young? I have cleaned the cage and sanitized the cage. I cannot afford to take them to the vet and want to try and help them the best I can. Don't want them suffering.

Thank you for any help

First off, pine bedding is very bad for them. I'd stick to shredded paper. What they have is most likely lice. You can't see mites, even on a skin scraping. The vet would prescribe kitten revolution for the moms, but not sure if they can take it while breast feeding, and not sure about the babies.

DO NOT ever put over the counter, or pet store flea treatment on them. Those contain ingredients that can be harmful to your rats. Look at www.ratguide.com for some good info on meds, and health care info. You can message Lilspaz, and ask her about what is safe to do or use. She would be better help than me. LOL

How old are the babies? This is important. If they are too young I would wait, if they are older and close to weaning I would wait. If they are 2-3.5 weeks you can dose Mom with Revolution and the babies will get some through her milk.

Back