Possible Mammory Tumor -First tumor experience

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chel

So while doing introductions I've noticed that Dahlia has a small pea size bump under her armpit. It is detached and not super hard but not soft either. It is directly below a nipple, but I was surprised at the location of her normally not visible nipple as being right in her armpit. It doesn't seem to be bothering her in any way and I figure I will take her to the vet when I take Rose in for her typical tooth trim. Do you think it can wait that long (about 2 weeks)?

I am just looking for general thoughts and advice. I've never had a rat with a tumor before.

As long as it's not growing super fast, it can wait. I have two needing tumor removals that I can't do until all my animals here are healthy, which could be another couple weeks.

Some mammary tumours can grow quite fast but like it's been mentioned, keep your eye on it. And remember if you will have it removed the smaller the better not only for recovery but also cost wise.
I strongly suggest you also get a spay done at the same time or else you might be looking at multiple mammary tumours in the future for your little one.

Thank you all for the advice, I will update with what the vet says in a week or two.

jorats said:
Some mammary tumours can grow quite fast but like it's been mentioned, keep your eye on it. And remember if you will have it removed the smaller the better not only for recovery but also cost wise.
I strongly suggest you also get a spay done at the same time or else you might be looking at multiple mammary tumours in the future for your little one.

Yes I agree that a spay would be an excellent idea, however they run about 120$ here and that is out of the question atm (especially since I will have to pay who knows how much for the removal). In addition Dahlia is my oldest rat, I rescued her almost a year ago now and supposedly she was 2 years old then. Keeping that in mind is it such a good idea for her to undergo a spay? (or a tumor removal for that matter)

If she is healthy there is no reason why she can't undergo surgery for a spay and/or tumour removal.
Your vet will tell you if she is a good candidate for surgery or not.

I've had rats spayed at 2 years so age is not much of a factor in my book. But... your vet would be better to determine that.
Also, are you sure it's a mammary tumour and not perhaps an abscess? If it is a tumour, she's a lucky girl to have gone this long without one.

My first thought was an abscess after going through those also for the first time with Briar. It is similar but it is right under a nipple. thats why I thought mammary tumor. It isn't attached to her body underneath the skin, but it seems like it is attached to the nipple. (does that make sense?). although I have been doing introductions and they've gone REALLY well, it is possible she got scratched or bit. I will check it frequently so if it comes to head I can clean it, if not she will be going to the vet in a week or two.. sound good?

That sounds good.
Also a mammary tumour would be attached to mammary tissue so it makes sense that it seems to you that it's attached to the nipple.

Back