Possible abcess on the face?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We'll for sure be loving the rest of the time she has with us. It sucks that some rats have to go through so much in their short lives.

Her energy level is still quite good so I'm happy to see she's still moving around...well waddling around she has her good days and bad days I guess for walking. I was able to get some more stuff out of the abcess it was mostly clearish with a little bit of blood. It still feels very hard. I tried to get some pictures so you all could see.

You can see the bump on the left side of her cheek it kinda goes under and across her jaw line. It was larger the other day but Dr.Dunnett got some of the stuff out which is good because it was big enough that it was making her eye close :(
willowabcess2.jpg

willowabcess3.jpg

You can see the little scab/opening a little better in this one and you can see her belly hanging where one of the tumors are.
willowabcess4.jpg

she's a fighter for sure and very very independant. She's one of those types of girls that only wants to come to you on her own terms and be petted when she wants lol she's a weird little thing but we love her.

The lump on Willow's face seems to be slowly going down but it's still quite large. The one in her tummy is already pretty big. So we're just keeping her comfortable till she lets us know it's time for her to leave us. She seems to still be going strong for now so that's good to see.

Willow's lump on her face has come down a lot more it's so good to see! So the baytril is helping for sure. We took these pics a few days ago but it's already a lot smaller. She looks a lot more comfortable.

You can see the large lump on the her left cheek
willowandtheabcess.jpg

Can see the little hole still but it's scabed over.
willowabcesshole.jpg

Is this the month for abcess' or what holy crap! Ang was checking willow over and noticed her tumor on her belly was looking large and had a scab on it. So I picked the sab off while Ang held Willow and well turns out that it was an abcess. We just poped it and wow gross! It was extremly thick and grey the stuff that came out. Is that Normal? It was huge and by the time we got all the stuff out there was no lump at all! There's quite a little hole so we gave her the baytril and soaked her in some warm water.
Anything else we should do for it?

Better an abscess than a tumour!!!!
You'll need to keep opening up that hole and flushing it with water/saline, do this at least twice a day. Keep opening that hole to do the flushing until is heals from inside out, no ointment on it though. Good idea with the Baytril.

Do you have a large syringe that you can fill with saline and gently flush it? Arrgghh! You need to sit all your kids down and ask them to go easier on you :bow:

Jog my memory again Saline is just warm water? Or is there anything else in it? We let her soak in some warm water yesterday after we got the stuff out. Poor girl. I coudln't believe the amount of stuff that came out! The lump was the size of two grapes and by the time we got it all out the bump was no longer there!
The lump on her face isn't noticable anymore but when you feel it there a little hard thing in there which Dr.Dunnett had saw when we took her in. So that must be the tumor part. I'm going to check her tummy again 'cuase I'm sure she still has the tumors in her belly from the last feel. Poor girl is going through so much.
I just got up so I'm going to go and check on her and clean her up again. Poor thing is going to hate me.

I agree Fidget our girls need to stop getting hurt and sick lately geez!

Back