Portia Nov. 15/05 to Nov. 5/07 :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vanessa said:
I'm sorry for your loss.
I was actually going to ask you about them recently. I have lost both Sebastian and John Paul in the last month. Both had gone down hill very quickly recently. John Paul had been in twice to see Dr. Luckwadlt, but he didn't pull through. Sebastian came out of his throat surgery like a trooper, but went down hill fast a few months later.
I had been wondering how their siblings were faring. I guess, in the end, their background ensured that none of them reach a ripe old age.

Oh Vanessa I am sorry. :( When I saw your collage of rats that had passed, I was soo happy not to see those 2 boys. :( They really had the genetic decks stacked against them didn't they?

I have to ask, how are your maritimers? My Kamali is not doing well at all. I have started sub-q injections or gent and dex, after courses of meds didn't help, and diagnostic lasix did nothing. :(

I think those sweethearts also have the deck against them.

lilspaz68 said:
I have to ask, how are your maritimers? My Kamali is not doing well at all. I have started sub-q injections or gent and dex, after courses of meds didn't help, and diagnostic lasix did nothing. :(

My four boys are fine. I have had a bit of trouble with a couple, one foot injury and one boy with minor/moderate respiratory issues that cleared up easily with treatment.
I know that they are huge boys. Even with a huge cage and lots of exercise, they tend to be overweight and will rest a lot during their freerange. That concerns me a bit because that is the type of thing I have seen in the past with rats that end up with heart problems.
All my other boys are normal size or a bit on the smaller size (except for Milo who is huge as well) and everyone gets fed the same diets and get the same amount of exercise so I don't know.

Vanessa said:
lilspaz68 said:

My four boys are fine. I have had a bit of trouble with a couple, one foot injury and one boy with minor/moderate respiratory issues that cleared up easily with treatment.
I know that they are huge boys. Even with a huge cage and lots of exercise, they tend to be overweight and will rest a lot during their freerange. That concerns me a bit because that is the type of thing I have seen in the past with rats that end up with heart problems.
All my other boys are normal size or a bit on the smaller size (except for Milo who is huge as well) and everyone gets fed the same diets and get the same amount of exercise so I don't know.

they are very big rats, all of them we have noticed. Kyrie (Kamali's sister is a big girl and Kamali is normally bigger than average. You have been lucky with the respiratory from what I understand. Jo's boys, my girls and I think even Nic's girls from Lori all have had ongoing issues their entire life.

I have heard that their father Byron is having similar issues as Kamali right now, not responding to meds anymore. Holly told me the family seems to have problems with CHF and PT.

Glad to hear your 4 monsters are doing well!! :mrgreen:

Back