porphyrin question???

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JenD

Hi again. Well, another question concerning my poor little Chaulky, who is 4 months old and already was treated for myco flareup (URI symptoms) for 6 weeks. We finally did the baytril/doxy combo for 2 weeks and that seemed to really help. That was a few weeks ago. Well the last day or two, we've noticed that he's got some tiny red dots under his right eye. He was holding it more closed than normal yesterday, so I wondered if he got scratched. It looks more "dotty" today. He does sneeze once in a while & I've seen silent hiccuping in his brother (litter mate) and both of the babies, and they also sneeze...I digress...now I'm wondering if it's porphyrin.

Anyway, is porphyrin something to be concerned about? I've been reading through posts here and want to make sure it's not mites first of all, but second of all - if it is porphyrin, does that mean that his myco flare-up is returning? Should I be concerned or is it normal to have a small amount of these scabby looking tiny dots by his eye? He just doesn't seem to have much of an immune system, poor dear. I don't see anything on the others yet and I haven't detected any scabs on their bodies at all, so I am assuming at this point it is not mites, but porphyrin. They groom and scratch, but it doesn't seem excessive or increased compared to before...

Advice? Oh and should I rinse it off or let it be? How to clean it if it is porphyrin?

I hear sneezes daily, but don't always know who it is. They all have sneezed at one time or another...Who would have thought sneezing would bring so much frustration - lol! Thanks for your help in advance...

I Jen, it's most likely porphyrin, it doesn't take much for the rats to have this. It can be cause due to any kind of stress from too much noise in the room to a myco flare up.
Did anything change recently? More people in the house, a new pet, smoking, cooking something with a strong smell or even a change in perfume or hairspray? All those can cause a rat to have porphyrin.
Keep an eye on him... watch for other symptoms like sleeping more, laboured breathing, loss of appetite...

Thanks, Jo. He looks better today. Nothing from the nose & bruxing away with eye boggles, so I think he's ok, but I'll keep watch :)

Jen

Back