Popper - RIP

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dspch911

Its over, he is now running and playing with Oliver and no longer worrying about catching his breath. It was a very hard decision to make and I hope I made the right one. He was quite energetic today, but he kept sneezing and doing a head shake - not sure what that was about - and he kept grooming himself. Yesterday however, he sounded like he was breathing through a straw. He has highs and lows. My decision was based on the fact he lost another 73 grams in 7 days and he has basically stopped eating. He will eat very small amounts, but only if finger fed, spoon fed, or syringe fed. We could feel all this bones. The vet said he sounded worse and his chest was now solid and he couldn't squeeze it. I could not let him go on possibly starving and/or suffocating to death. My boy is now at peace ... he left this world as he came in it with his brothers Axe and Throttle. I let them be there to see Popper was no longer with us so hopefully they will not be as depressed as my ratties seem to get when they lose a cage mate. I miss my Pop Pop so much...... :angel2:

That's so sad, but at least he knew you were there and caring for him and he got to spend his last moments with his friends, and he is no longer suffering.

Nothing worse than an animal suffering.

Im very sorry for your loss, I may have to make the same decision soon for Thumper. :hugs:

I saw that, basically it just sucks! One minutes they make it clear that is the right choice and the next they seem full of life and ready to keep going. Perhaps that is just what we see though since we want to see that to keep them with us longer. Today I had to go with my brain and not my heart... He looked so peacefully when it was over..... I have that picture to look at.

Last edited:
Aww I'm sorry for your loss. ): Take comfort in the fact you gave him an amazing life and now he is no longer suffering anymore. RIP little guy :flowers:

I'm so sorry! R.I.P. Popper. You did everything you could and Popper had a great life, despite his illness. You are a great rat mama and have a great rat papa by your side. We can all tell how much you love your boys and I'm sure Popper is extremely thankful that he spent his life with you. My thoughts are with you. <3

Back