Popper 11/18 - Vet Update

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Popper took a turn yesterday and it wasn't a good one. We had him out for play time and we didn't need to see him to know where in the room he was - we just had to listen for him, that is how audible his breathing was. He sounded like he was blowing a whistle or like a bird chirping. He was also not his peppy self - while he still walked/ran/climbed he was a little slower and when he went back into the cage he was having trouble getting up the ladders to the next level - it was like it was just too much for him. His appetite was still good and he was taking treats. So today I took him to the vet and was going to have him hijack GMC's appointment, but the were able to work both the boys in. She also agreed Popper was in more distress and we opted to re x-ray him today rather than wait. His first x-ray was on 10/24 and there is already a change. Its possible the Lasix removed the fluid and made the mass more dense and visible, but its more likely it got bigger and we're dealing with an abscess or a cancerous tumor. I was able to see where the mass is pressing on his trachea and the trachea is coming to a funnel shape at the end. For now we are going to switch up the medications again. We're going to keep him on the Lasix 0.10 ml, but lower it to once a day since there no longer seems to be much of a fluid build up, Doxycycline 2 times a day for 2 weeks 0.03 ml (50 mg/ml), and AA Hawthorn Plus. We are going to put him back on the Meloxicam 1 time per day 0.25 ml (1.5mg/ml 5ml) as an anti-inflammatory for his breathing and we are going to start KHA Dispel Stasis in blood 1oz 0.12 ml twice a day (that sounds gross to me, but its suppose to be another herbal thing), Baytril 0.18 ml once a day, and we have to set up a nebulizer tank that we will use either once a day and/or if he is really in distress. He has been taken off the Respicalm 2 times a day 0.10 ml (26 ml). We also have to take his respiratory rate every day, once a day while he is sleeping/resting. This is really becoming overwhelming ... thank goodness my mother has a nebulizier she isn't using anymore so we don't have to worry about that cost. I have a vet appointment every week this month... :gaah:

jorats said:
Oh my... that poor boy. But you are doing everything possible for him.

I hope so ... going from PT to lung abscesses - I'm getting tossed in the deep end with two big ones back to back - I need a raft! I'm terrified I won't know he's in respiratory distress and get him treatment in time or not be home when it happens. Please no ZGT tumors !! :bow:

Apparently Popper didn't like getting 6 different medications last night since I found this - this morning when it came time for morning meds. He has recruited "rat guards" that had to be pulled off him so I could get to him and he wouldn't let go of the hammock so I could take him out. :laugh4:
Popper laying across him, holding him down!
IMG_4964_zps4ac65fa6.jpg

Popper still on him, Axe in back also laid on him, and Peanut was coming to join in.
IMG_4970_zpsfe7f0277.jpg

Why can't they all be as easy as Axe? He grabs for the syringe and puts it in his mouth.
IMG_4943_zpscda2b372.jpg

Because they are boys. Most of my boys are pitas when it comes to meds. One more month and they will be a year old. I am counting the days down for the handicap rats :)

Popper sounded awful last night when I gave him his medication. I will pick up the nebulizer after work today and make my first attempt at giving him a treatment. I have one of these cages at home that we sometimes use as a travel cage if necessary http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... lInUS%2FNo Will this work as a nebulizer tank? I know I need to take the top off right? or can I just put a towel over the top? How long do I keep him in there? I'm assuming until the cup runs out of medications? Should I put something down for him to lay on or would that absorb his medication? We discussed two options giving him a treatment everyday and/or just a treatment when we feel he needs it. I suppose I should start giving him one everyday. Thanks for any and all advice :panic:

I used a bare chamber, because if they burrow under a blanket they're probably not breathing the steam.
I stuck the hose in through the top of my chamber and then covered the rest of the top with a heavy towel to keep the steam in.

BlueSkyy said:
I used a bare chamber, because if they burrow under a blanket they're probably not breathing the steam.
I stuck the hose in through the top of my chamber and then covered the rest of the top with a heavy towel to keep the steam in.

That makes sense - thanks

dspch911 said:
Popper sounded awful last night when I gave him his medication. I will pick up the nebulizer after work today and make my first attempt at giving him a treatment. I have one of these cages at home that we sometimes use as a travel cage if necessary http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... lInUS%2FNo Will this work as a nebulizer tank? I know I need to take the top off right? or can I just put a towel over the top? How long do I keep him in there? I'm assuming until the cup runs out of medications? Should I put something down for him to lay on or would that absorb his medication? We discussed two options giving him a treatment everyday and/or just a treatment when we feel he needs it. I suppose I should start giving him one everyday. Thanks for any and all advice :panic:

I think that would scare him more. Put him in a cat carrier, cover it with a towel, have the tube supported and under the towel that is how I do all of mine. They generally take it well.

Not sure this process went as it was suppose to!! First we tried the small cage and yes, Hopefloats was right, he paniced and became soaked with the vapors! Plus, I felt like we had him in a gas chamber and were putting him to death. So, that was awful!!! So, we moved him to the carrier and covered the top and put the mist through the front door. That stuff smells - so we needed up with a wet smelly rat!!! When he got out he refused a small piece of cheese and went into the cage and laid down closing his eyes. I thought we killed him and he was just laying down to die. Of course our internet was down so I couldn't even get on this site to ask advise. However, within 5 minutes he was up and running around during out time like nothing had happened. Still wheezing though, but it doesn't seem to bother him.

hmmm. for Nibs, I ended up first using a covered cat carrier, and that did get smelly pretty fast because she would freak a little and fear poop. Later I tried her travel cage, covered. A bit better, but they did spend most of the time trying to pull the towels in and a bit worked up. I think it really depends on the rat and what they can put up with/handle. I know some members have been able to simply put the rat on their lap and hold the tube up to their nose.

How does he get soaked with the vapors? I've only ever used a nebulizer for saline, but my rats were never wet in the least when I was done?

violet976 said:
hmmm. for Nibs, I ended up first using a covered cat carrier, and that did get smelly pretty fast because she would freak a little and fear poop. Later I tried her travel cage, covered. A bit better, but they did spend most of the time trying to pull the towels in and a bit worked up. I think it really depends on the rat and what they can put up with/handle. I know some members have been able to simply put the rat on their lap and hold the tube up to their nose.

How does he get soaked with the vapors? I've only ever used a nebulizer for saline, but my rats were never wet in the least when I was done?
crumbilina said:
What meds are you nebulizing?

Whatever we are putting into the chamber and I cannot answer that now because I'm at work, but the label has about 3 medications listed and is mixed with saline. We put 5ml into the cup and that is what comes out the mouth piece in a mist (I guess its a mist) and that is what got him wet in the plastic cage. Perhaps because it was sort of raining down on him? I didn't realize we could just hold the thing up to his face!! The medication smells horrible, his poop wasn't that bad. :sick2:

Popper had his follow up appointment today and there are no changes. His weight is the same and he was quite feisty. We are going to take him off the lasix and see if anything changes. I had to ask, but if it is a mass/tumor surgery won't be an option. First of all, not sure they are offering the type of thoracic surgery on rats that he would need and it would have to be done at the U of I. We would have to do a ct scan to get a clearer picture of exactly what we are dealing with and the mortality rate of this surgery on rabbits is greater than 80% during surgery, but I had to ask. He would most likely die of blood loss during surgery.

Popper is still hanging in there, no changes. Yesterday he kicked some Grumpy butt - don't make him mad he doesn't seem to know he's sick. Those same bad parents that missed Oliver's birthday also missed Popper's, Throttle's, and Axe's which was on December 20th - so they are also 1 now - Birthday party to follow for them too.

Back