Popcorns a Mom

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zooy

So I'm saying goodbye to my pets as I'm moving back to my parents and I notice a small little pink thing in the cage! I start freaking out as I'm literally about to leave. Mike grabbed an aquarium and we scooped up popcorn and baby and put them into the cage and looked for more.
Now, this is my first litter and neither Mike or I are there. Our roommate is, what should we be doing for Popcorn and babies (assuming they lived) so I can tell Kat...
Help??

Oh wow, I've never dealt with babies!

Um.. if I remember correctly.. should use paper towel for bedding if possible, but since she's already got a nest of sorts I don't know how that'll work out.

High protein... cooked egg and stuff is very important.

Would your roommate sign up here and look for some info as well, just so you don't have to mediate? Or, I guess they don't have to sign up, just read the threads as lots are available as a guest.

Lots of luck to you guys and your popcorn *hug*

Hopefully someone experienced comes along.

How long are you going to be gone??

Mom should be just fine in the aquarium with a house. She has food and water right?

Let us know how many babies there are, what you are bedding them on etc.

Make sure mom gets a lot of extra supplements, baby food, baby cereal, protein sources like eggs, fish and chicken, etc. I guess it depends on how many babies as to how much supplementing. She was very young so she may only have a few eepers.

lilspaz68 said:
How long are you going to be gone??

Mom should be just fine in the aquarium with a house. She has food and water right?

Let us know how many babies there are, what you are bedding them on etc.

Make sure mom gets a lot of extra supplements, baby food, baby cereal, protein sources like eggs, fish and chicken, etc. I guess it depends on how many babies as to how much supplementing. She was very young so she may only have a few eepers.
I'm going to be gone for 6 weeks. Mike will be back on Sunday.
Can she just put a water bowl in there, will that be cool? Theres nowhere to hook a water bottle.
She's actually been getting baby cereal all week with lab blocks and veg. So hopefully that won't change.
Man I wish I could have brought her with me but I can imagine that would have been stressful enough.

Why can't you hook a water bottle? Is it an aquarium? If it has bars you can make a holder from a piece of metal clothes hanger.
Why was she pregnant?
You'll miss a lot of joy missing babies. Will your sitter send you pictures?

Okay Kat makeshifted a way to hang the water bottle. I asked her to do a count on babies and we've got 9!!!!!
Holy crap! I'm a grandma to 9!!!!

The reason I'm gone is because Monday I'm starting a 6 week work co-op up here in Peterborough.
I asked Kat to take a few pictures tomorrow for me, she says she doesn't see milk bands yet but if someone could post a picture (shelagh, jo?) of milk bands that would be great

Just a picture I took of the one baby I was moving this morning
rat.jpg

There was only 1... 9 now

Paper towel has threads so it is not a good idea until babies are older. Anything with threads is dangerous for young babies.

Carefresh, felt and hardwood shavings are ok. We used carefresh and felt.

Hope mama and babies are ok.

Holly

Did you know she was pregnant? I know that it's not your fault in any way, you've only had her since January 6th, right? Congratulations on being a grandma to 9! now it's mostly about keeping Popcorn happy, healthy and well fed so she can take care of them as well as making sure that they are kept out of drafts and kept warm. Maybe in a couple of weeks you can get them transported to you somehow.

I've never heard of paper towels have threads. The only complaint I've heard on it is that the cheaper brands can be a bit dusty. No where near as dusty as Carefresh is, which also sticks horribly to the bubs. It's almost like the Carefresh blobs get glued onto them it's so sticky. I'd also think that hardwood chips would be incredibly uncomfortable, not to mention I'd be paranoid about abrasions and splinters. From what I've been given to understand, their skin is really quite delicate at this stage.

Fabrics should be avoided, as that does have threads. Although fleece, since it doesn't have threads, would be fine.

Lots of extra protein for mom, as has already been suggested. Scrambled eggs, soy milk, bits of chicken, etc.. As the babies get older and start to wean off, your roomie [or you, if you have them by then] can start introducing other soft foods for the babies to sample, too. Peas, corn, carrots, baby cereal, etc.. Good and mushy stuff to start with. Don't forget the boys need to be separated out at about 4 weeks old.

Thanks guys! I'm really hoping Kat and Mike are good surrogate grandparents since i can't be tehre. Mike is borrowing my parents camera to take daily pictures!
I'm going down at week 4 and 5 probably to sex and put into different cages hopefully boys and girls will be weaned.
This is my first litter (hope to be last) and I want it to be done properly.

We\ve got milk bands!! No pictures though, my roomie is currently really busy apparently but promises to get me some today! Mikes home tomorrow anyways

lilspaz68 said:
Zooy I saw that you posted Popcorn had 9 babies in here, but in Rat Losses 2007 you mentioned only 7? Was it a typo or did you lose 2? :sad-p:
Lets just say that my roommate can't count. thursday she said 9,. friday she said 6, yesterday she said 7. Mikes doing a final count today

Mikes final count... 8

When I go home in a few week theres gonna be like 10... $5

Back