Poor Sweet Talty-man :( ..a little disturbing

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

Taltos is 29 months old and has finally decided I am truly wonderful. Took months of "ewww...human cooties!" to "I will tolerate you if you rub my ears, and pat me just so.." to "I love you!".

Yesterday about 8:30 I looked into his cage and it looked like he was frantically and rythmically trying to get something out of his mouth, I saw something white and opened the door to help him remove it. That's when I saw it was white foam, and he was seizing. I grabbed him carefully and held him through it... :sad3:

He came out of it fast (thank god!), and I went into Chat, to share my distress and worry and just to be with friends, because everyone knows, when you are going through a crisis, its always better with support. He went quickly to mild random head movements to a big sigh, then bruxxing and cuddling into my arms.

I took some pics of him just in case they were going to be my last. I noticed he was clumsy and unable to walk well, and his front paws were floppy or clubbed.

Taltyfeb12.jpg

Talty4feb12.jpg

Talty2feb23.jpg

About an hour later, he had another one in my lap.
It started as rapid blinking of the eyes, and the movement went up his head, then his paws would jerk a little, and this is when I would pick him up, carefully, so I didn't get bitten. I had a towel i would wrap around him for my safety and his comfort.
Then the seizure would really start. It felt like electric shocks going through his body, his eyes were fixed, and his paws would be reaching up fast and hard over and over (like pawing). For people who are upset right now, I have discussed this before with an epileptic friend. The actual seizures are not painful even as awful as they look..."you" go elsewhere so there is no pain.
Then poor Talty started biting the air, and rolling out his tongue a little, like overdone bruxing in a way. His right side was seizing it seemed and his mouth (he was facing me) was pulled back and down. A bit of reddish fluid came out of the right side of his mouth (I assume he nicked his tongue) I sang to him, kissed his head, and told him I loved him...the seizure finally slowed, and he came out of it fast again. After the random head movements slowed, he bruxxed and licked my arm over and over. Then cuddled down into my arms again.

We went to bed on the couch soon after. He had one more about 11:30. He slept on my chest for awhile and then started getting agitated and wanted off of me. He slept beside me for awhile while I stroked him, and then I felt him jerk. I grabbed him and held him through another seizure. :(
I woke up at 3:00 am on the couch and decided that we would move to my bed. This set off another seizure and it was faster and harder than the others. This time I didn't get my thumb out of the way fast enough and got a quick unknowing bite. Recovered fast again, and he slept and I dozed. About 5 am, I could see another seizure just beginning...nose twitches moving up his muzzle, but they stopped and he hasn't had one since.
He crawled off about 7 am, and tucked himself under my pillows, so I put nice thick hammies and layered any hard surfaces. He then slept between 2 pillows as his cave and is still there now.

I woke him up to check on him a minute ago.

Taltyfeb13am.jpg

He did that mush down thing, swallowed, and flattened out for some nice strokes. :) he's sleeping again. :heart: :heart:

During his seizures it might be safer to be in an encloused space, I don't know if I'm just used to seeing more violent seizures but Monkey has bounced straight off the bed as well as other ratties and ended up hurt.

:( So sorry to hear about it.

ryelle said:
oh my..
poor Taltos! he is very very lucky to have you Shelagh.
So the question is.. whats the plan of action?

He got a shot of dex/gentocin last night, just in case it was a stroke or some type of neural pressure causing the seizures. He has had none today. If he makes it to Tuesday with no seizures I will continue the daily dex shots. If he has more, I wil take him to Dr Munn on Tues, hopefully to be given anti-seizure meds, or possibly to be pts :(

Well its been over 12 hours now and no seizures!!! :joy:

A lot of sleeping though but that's understandable :D

Do I want to be out here?
Taltyfeb12pm1.jpg

Noooope
Taltyfeb12pm2.jpg

Taltyfeb12pm3.jpg

Shift, shift, shove...ahhhh comfy again...Zzzzzzzz
Taltyfeb12pm4.jpg

:heart: :heart:

aww poor Talty boy. I hope meds will help him so he won't have any more seizures. Poor boy. He is such a handsome guy I just want to give him a big hug! :hugs:

Back