Poor Hermes - RIP My Love

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well we go up and down and up and down over here. I am sure Hermes is more comfortable but there is no curefor him,just a bit more time. He is still happly snatching his meds and is more wont to insist on sleeping ON me at night rather than elsewhere. :giggle: He also is very happy when I get home from work, and crawls into my arms for cuddles and strokes...lifting his head up high on each one, then bruxxing. Right after that he starts looking for his dinner LOL

Breakfast :)

aug4Hermes.jpg

aug4Hermes2.jpg

One thing I've noticed is that in the pics, he's not looking ragged or pouffy, which to me is a clear indication of pain and or stress.
How do you feel like he's doing? motoring along comfortably enough considering the laboured breathing?
He's looking quite sweet in the last pic. They are so good at hiding their illnesses sometimes.

jorats said:
One thing I've noticed is that in the pics, he's not looking ragged or pouffy, which to me is a clear indication of pain and or stress.
How do you feel like he's doing? motoring along comfortably enough considering the laboured breathing?
He's looking quite sweet in the last pic. They are so good at hiding their illnesses sometimes.

His fur is pretty much down now, and he seems happy with his more limited life. We had one attack this week (2:53 am) which actually was taken care of by a dex injection.

Once Hermes figured out syringe feeding, he was one very happy boy. He'll eat some on his own, but then he hops into my lap and waits for his big Pink Slave to feed him. he gobbles down 16-24 cc's at a sitting with very few drips. I can barely keep up at times...hahaha. Then he sits and grooms himself in my lap before hopping off onto the desk for a snooze. When I get home from work and find him asleep in his pillow case on the bed, he wakes up slowly at first then the eyes pop open and brighten right up...he crawls into my arms and bruxxes. He's lost a few grams but he's mostly stable at about 347 grams now, which is better than losing. So we are taking it day by day at this point.

Of course Hermes had an attack yesterday, a shot of dex (I use the lower range even in emergencies) and once he was calm enough I puthim in the O2 cage for 2 hours...he did well. Within 2 minutes he was grooming...within 20 minutes he was sleeping, and his breathing eased.

Last night and today he's been trying to eat solid foods determinedly.

Grooming after his ordeal yesterday...

aug4Hermesgrooming.jpg

Do you mind?
aug4Hermes3.jpg

After this he came up to lie beside me and groom so I couldn't take anymore rude pics of him cleaning netherbits with his legs in the air :giggle:

This morning, gobbling breakfast :D He didn't seem to want as much as usual,so I think he was nibbling overnight :D

aug5Hermesfeeding.jpg

Mostly ticking along well. He seems old, frail, crap breathing but bright, and happy. He was very frightened of Marsky but tonight I came home to them cuddled up together with Marsky's head over Hermes shoulder :heart: I get kisses from both of them *melt*

awwww :heart:
it's so sweet when they snuggle up like that, esp if they weren't that close before.

it's nice Herme's making the best of things

Marsky seems to really like the O2 cage...he settles right down, grooms, eats and makes sure he sleeps beside the hose inside the cage. He's been having a rougher time than Hermes unfortunately.

aug11MarskyintheO2cage.jpg

Hermes on the other hand still loves to be ON me whenever I am close. He's resting comfortably :heart:

aug11Hermes.jpg

aug11Hermes2.jpg

Hermes is doing as well as a sickly boy can do. He still happily grooms, licks me, lies over me, head sleeps sometimes(a bit awkwardly) which in an old respy rat is almost a miracle in itself. We go on, as he's not ready to go yet...

aug21Hermes.jpg

Back