Poop color?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raticate

So, I tried searching on here.. But couldn't really find anything.

One, or possibly both of my ratmans have been having gray-ish poop instead of their usual dark poops. I'm a bit concerned. Splinter is acting a LITTLE bit lethargic sometimes, but that could just be because he maybe runs around all day when I am at work and is just tired when I get home and wanna cuddle with him. I have seen him up and about running around every now and again, but tonight he was just laying around in my hood while his brother explored and hopped around. Is he sick?

Should lighter poop be something to worry about or should I just keep an eye out to see if anything changes and not worry so much?

Sorry, I don't know anything about what poop color means... BUT I have noticed with my girls that if I give them different treats, or vegetables, it will sometimes change the color of their poop. Their poop is always orange after I give them carrots... now that I think of it, is that even normal? :?

A question I might actually have an answer to! My boys sometimes have the same thing where its gray to white. First of all the vet says its no big thing as long as its just once in a while. Ok, gross part - its even better if you break it in half and the inside is still brown/black. Sometimes older poop will discolor too. On the bad side, if its all the time it could mean to much protein (I think that's what it was - if that's not it its calcuim) and/or liver problems. Basically nothing to worry about, when I see it I lay off on anything high in protein for a couple days - I'll confess, dog biscuits.

I don't know about rats, but I have a liver problem and if I eat too much fat (or sugar, I haven't noticed this with high protein foods), I will have er, white or very light colored stools.
But I'm assuming that's because I've already got a compromised liver.
My doc said it's only a problem if it's not just once in awhile (which thankfully, so far, it's only once in awhile) um, yeh, that's my scoop on poop *blush*

That is very interesting Petunia.

I've seen all kinds of colours with mine and never thought much of it. Now maybe I'll pay closer attention, if I can pinpoint who's doing which poop.

jorats said:
That is very interesting Petunia.

I've seen all kinds of colours with mine and never thought much of it. Now maybe I'll pay closer attention, if I can pinpoint who's doing which poop.

Good luck, I have no idea how to figure out who/where the gray/white poop comes from in my cage!

Back