Please tell me what color/marking my rats are.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessicadelage

Hi,

Can someone please tell me what colors/marking my new baby rats are.
I was told that Gem is Fawn Hooded, Jo is Black Variberk and Coco is either Agouti or Cinnamon Hooded. I am trying to figure out which Coco is and the other two.

Coco:
3834287_orig.jpg

Gem:
9555413_orig.jpg

Hope:
7917314_orig.jpg

Jo:
7718201_orig.jpg

Zoe:
2344734_orig.jpg

Thanks,
Jessica

Sometimes the colour doesn't come through that great on pictures but I'll do my best.
Coco appears to be a cinnamon agouti hooded.
Gem is either fawn if she has dark red eyes but if her eyes are pink then she's an amber hooded.
Hope looks to be a fawn hooded.
Jo is a black variberk. (I love her name)
And Zoe a gorgeous pearl merle hooded.

While doing this post, I did a quick google search for amber, I might be off on that one, I can't find the right name for pink eyed fawn.. I've come to notice that people from all over make up all kinds of names for whatever their rats are. LOL I can't wait to find a cool colour and marking in rescue so I can give it some new name.

Your ratties are beautiful. Luckily Jorats gave you the answers you need! I'm not knowledgeable on that stuff. Love the fawn and cinnamon colours, and they are not common around here.

Wow! Petsmart? Dang, I don't usually support petstore buys, but if that's what you're getting at your Petsmart... I would be mighty tempted. :wink: :giggle:

They are all beautiful but Zoe is the one that really caught my eye, I had never seen a rat with her coloring before.

I don't usually get my pets from pet stores either (only one other of my pets was from a store) but I had a very hard time finding rats around me. I really wanted babies, females only and didn't want any solid colors (for some reason I don't like the look when the full body is one color). All I could find were solid colored babies or adults and most of them were male so I went to look at the pet store and fell in love with these ones.
At the Petsmart I went to the people in the small animal section seemed to really care about the animals unlike most of the pet stores I have been to. They were handling all the animals as much as they could and asked me a few times about the cage size, what food I was going to feed them, etc.

I got the name Jo from the show Supernatural.

jorats said:
While doing this post, I did a quick google search for amber, I might be off on that one, I can't find the right name for pink eyed fawn.. I've come to notice that people from all over make up all kinds of names for whatever their rats are.
I have 'amber' too. I find names for colours and even markings differ between North America and the UK.
This is the info i have:
Black + red(ruby) eye dilute gene = Beige
Black + pink eye dilute gene = Champagne
Agouti + red(ruby) eye dilute gene = Fawn
Agouti + pink eye dilute gene = Amber
I think genes are so cool!!

Thanks.
Every time I go to Petsmart I always look at the animals. I usually only see brown, black or all white rats. This was the first time I saw Merle.

All my Petsmart's usually have are black hooded. I think I will need to post my other 10 and see what you guys think they are and/or I'll tell you what I think they are and you can tell me if I'm right.... (my own thread of course) If I haven't already :thumbup: Welcome, pretty ratties you have

Back