Please read! This may help save your rattie's life! WORKS!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joanne, I am 33 years old and have had rats since I was 4 years old. Meaning almost 30 years of rats and their love. I really don't do blogs and I don't have time for them. I was trying to upload pictures of my babies but they were too large to upload, so I tried but could not upload what I wanted to upload.

I love Ratties more than anything! I do apologize for not making that clear as I am the youngest of an entire rat loving family, which was another 12 years before I was born. We all love those furry wonderful little beings. They're the best pets EVER! I couldn't have ratties for a long time after I lost a few and it totally broke my heart. That was also in the 90s and we all never knew how toxic GMO corn and wheat were. Now we know. Anyway.

So there are many generations of creatures that I've dealt with, along with vets, toxic situations, horrific things that I've seen and been through. I am absolutely trying to show how I've been dealing with certain situations. I'm not a vet, but my friend is one and has helped me a a lot. I'm not preaching anything. I'm simply trying to tell my story. And how I helped my babies that mean so very much to me.

Everyone has a way to deal with their ratties. I am not forcing anything upon anyone, but simply explaining my situations.

There are obviously no remarkable cures for anything. But if something works, then it does, sometimes. Perhaps someone can rescue one of these amazing creatures because of a google search and find us. I don't know. I'm just trying to help, not to hurt anyone. Please understand that. If I can save 1 little snuggly rat with this, then it makes sense to post here.

Yes it makes sense and your background certainly helps a lot!

In the world of forums and blogs, everyone must take information with skepticism. There is so many misinformation out there, I'm sure you can't blame us for our questioning your success.
I do however stand by the DE being unsafe for rats and their very sensitive lungs.
My claim to success with rats is a healthier diet and nutrition. I've had quite a few rats live beyond 3 years. So I do hope you stick around and help us support and advise those who are new and need guidance. Your experience is welcome here.

My exotic vet has no knowledge of Colloidal Silver, but because they hated me for trying to give them HealX Booster (nastiest stuff I have ever tasted, and it was mixed in raw honey!) I decided to try Colloidal Silver. Revival Animal Health (which is where I bought it) told me the dose was 4cc per 16 ounces of their (rats) drinking water. I did it for awhile (I only gave them 4cc per 32 ounces), and then read that "it can be toxic to rats if given 50mg." I did not quite understand the article, but they are on Chloramphenicol Palmitate, and as much as I wanted Colloidal Silver to be their miracle, I just cant take the chance without more research... Colloidal Silver is NOT supposed to interact with any medication, and is supposed to be harmless in humans and animals. However, it is Holistic, and I recalled how everyone used to give echinacea to rats, only to find out it was indeed toxic, and caused renal failure. Until a Holistic veterinary medical doctor knows how it works in a rats body...I just cant do it. Just my opinion for the time being. My rats have had a Myco flare-up for the last 30+ days, but my exotic vet never started them on Amoxy...he went straight to Doxy, and then Baytril+Doxy, and now Chloramphenicol. They are 100% better some days, and will then relapse two days later. It has been very stressful for all of us. I was so excited about the Colloidal Silver at first as well, and I know I am not giving them 50mg of it, but it just scared me. I do know a Holistic Veterinarian, and as soon as I ask her about it, I will post anything I learn from her, but she primarily works with only dogs, cats and horses. She also went to Holistic training after being a regular vet for 15+ years. Primarily doing accupuncture, massage, but I am unsure if she is well versed in Holistic meds for rats. I hope this helps.

After a month of the Chloramphenicol my vet has now changed them to Amoxy...*SIGH* I dont know what they mixed it with, but they hate it, and act like they are eating peanut butter, so after ten days (how long Amoxy's refridgerated shelf life is) I may ask for the Sympalta. This is an ivory substance. My main concern is my vet keeps saying one thing, and next time I speak to him, he denies he said it! Its SO frustrating! My husband and I are going to take them to the Holistic vet if Amoxy doesnt work, because other than one more drug on the flow chart, and we are out of options. I dont want them to suffer, and at the first sign of having trouble breathing, and gasping for air, then I will have no choice! I am just so mad that we didnt do Amoxy first, then Doxy, then Doxy & Baytril, and as I said, Chloramphenicol. IF anyone has ANY advice...please help me. Fawn & Lola are only nine months old! I just cant lose them, and I am at my wits end with this exotic vet. I have also gone way over my (husbands) budget on them. Between ordering the healthiest food I could at $7.00 a pound, and fruit and veggies $6.00 a cup, vet bills, etc...close to $800.00 has been spent. My vet charges $54.00 a visit plus a $14.00 compounding fee for every med we buy, and paying $1.00 a piece for a 30 unit BD slip tip syringe with a regular black plug plunger[which only last a few days] (I know I can buy 100 for $25.00 somewhere) and meds...its crazy. IF anyone knows where I can order 30 unit or 50 unit diabetic syringes-PLEASE let me know! I can only find ones with needles, but it wont say if it is a Leur lock, or a slip tip! So, I am afraid to order from this particular company. Amazon only has 1mm, and they are too big, as we got some at our pharmacy. I need diabetic Beckinson-Dickson 30 or 50 unit diabetic syringes with a slip tip. I appreciate any advice. Sorry for rambling, but I am exasperated, and its 2 a.m. If they[syringes] come with needles, so be it...I can dispose of them at my pharmacy. Help?

I would suggest starting a new thread for your ongoing issues. As for the syringes I used to use mine for months. As long as your rinse them with warm (not hot) water after each use they should be fine. You may also want to post the concentration and doses of the meds they are on so we can double check that your vet is dosing properly.

Lorry, what are the rats being treated for? If it's a respiratory illness, they should be on Baytril and Zithromax for full effect. Baytril and doxy works too but if it's quite severe, I would do Baytril and Zithromax.
I personally don't believe in holistic medicine to cure anything. I believe that a holistic approach is good to boost the immune system but nothing more. Rats with lung issues really need good meds.

Hi

adding to the orginal thread- just because I was curious on Collidol Silver use in pet rats as well-

I was wondering about this as well -
some examples of typical website that make it seem a perfect match for pet rats
http://colloidalsilversecrets.blogspot.com/2010/04/colloidal-silver-and-mycoplasmas.html

http://www.thesilveredge.com/studies.shtml#.VHyt08ckzVo

I would check if these are actual ped med or rep pulishers there are a few that were done in pocket pet animals the link above has the PDFs _ I would cross check the articles to pub med
and don't like that you have to download from a website selling something ;
anyways interesting ones are

" An Evaluation of Acute Toxicity of Colloidal Silver Nanoparticles on Mice

Bactericidal Activity of Combinations of Silver

Darn same issue with posting a patse- any reason that happens are my settings wrong ?
I wanted to say that the way the info was presented might be why it kind of got derailed-
But am still curious about Collidal Silver and possible uses in pet rats- the pharmasist at our holistic drug store was adamant it was NOT safe orally or neublized
only safe topically - yet these research on pocket pets lends on to think it could be safe and very effective add on . I would personally not - Not give the ABs as well-
what do you all think?

http://http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19451294
http://http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2715611/ full article

A simple pub med search on it- shows a whooping 1205 results so it has been studied
http://http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=colloidal+silver&cmd=DetailsSearch
121 in rats http://http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=colloidal+silver+and+rats
which should keep us OCD people busy
anyone interested in follwing this thread through finding articles of use please do . I am curious as well .

J

Safety http://http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25418433

I used to be active on the forum a few yrs ago- But couldnt for the life of me recall my login or password thus a seemingly newbie here

I never used it beyond a week, and a very weak dose. I believe my rats have myco, but after spending close to $2000.00 on xrays, the new vet said that their lungs were crystal clear, and they had allergies! I tried Benadryl for awhile, changed their litter multiple times, called my newspaper to see what ink they used, and well... I still come to the same conclusion, and I can no longer afford to treat them with anything other than dark chocolate 70%. I finally ordered coconut husk litter (big pieces, not the ground peat moss type brick they sell in the reptile dept.), that stopped the porphyritic staining, but they still sound like they have something. I keep it warmer in my room, and keep a clean humidifier running, but their eye rims seem red, and I hear whistling now instead of grunting noises. (the chocolate helps the most)...I am at a loss. While I am ranting...I do hope that no one ever uses Yesterdays News cat litter unscented or otherwise, as it is NOT recycled newspaper as they advertise. I believe THAT is what set ALL of this into motion! Its also what many exotic pets recommend, but if you knew what was in it...you would shudder. :eek:mg2:

$2000.00 total on everything...a room purifier, a holistic vet, and finally we did diagnostics-xrays.

What's in yesterday's news?
Lots of people use it with no issues whatsoever, myself included. I however could never be convinced to use any litter (including coconut husk) besides fleece... fleece is literally dust-less.
Hm I looked it up and found a 3 year old post on goosemoose that said YN had wood shavings. I just carefully read my bag (like the user who posted said they did) and it does not say wood shavings are an ingredient. Perhaps it was 3 years ago and now it is not... however there must be something more concerning if one is willing to use coconut husks..

Last edited:
I've been using YN for 10 years now. I've never had an issue with it.

Also, I can't see dark chocolate really having any effect on the lungs or respiratory and if it does than an inhaler should be even more helpful. Benadryl didn't help either?
Perhaps the issues are nasally and not lung related so Baytril would still be needed to treat that, along with doxy. Have you tried to do Baytril for 6 weeks?

Lorry will look at your post in the AM - but get where I think U are coming from we have spend that amount on vetting per rat the last 5 yrs and still unhappy w/ outcomes
Will post when am more myself- We lost Molly at 5 AM yest morning

then in the last hour - I went in to give the probiotics the old folks are on ( and Leia) was dead- cold-
had to have happened in last few hrs - my husband was in checking on them at 3pm

and everyone was fine

What do I do with the now single rat that has been Leia's partner for over 4 yrs??
So I redo the young rats cage to place him on the bottom ( double CN cages)

and Is this something I need all the rats seen at the vets - or a just a freak thing to lose 2 in 33 hrs??

Leia was between 4 and 5 yrs old- we had a nice time tgether last night - she wasnt acting sick at all
but has had HED for almost 18 mnths - Harper has had it for almost 2 yrs Leia definately has had PT as well for 22 mnths - I've been successfully treating that long w/ cabergoline- Its possible that she had a stroke- PT burst or Heart attack

I have not been anywhere near any other rats - gotten new bedding ect
so I doubt that it could have been a virus and pnuemnia is not contracted via contact - correct ??

suggestions- I am kind of in shock
do I put everyone on doxy just in case ?

J

I am so so sorry you lost Leia. There are just no other words. Only time eases the pain. When I lost Pookie to a tumor that was inoperable, I kept Pip by herself, but spent almost every waking minute with her. They were feeder rats, and Pookie lasted one year, and Pip only four months after we put Pookie down. I watched Pip die in my hands (while I screamed-poor thing). It happened SO fast. I thought she was playing in her cage and being silly, and then realized something was not right. She was dashing about in a panic, and she had just been eating, so I was baffled. No, she wasnt choking. I raised her on goats milk, and she was my baby. I flip flopped back and forth about how guilty I felt screaming, and had almost wished I HAD found her gone. Then again, I was glad I was holding her... There is no easy way to lose a beloved pet, especially as personable as rats are. I will pray for you and your other baby, and hope all is going to be okay. Take special care dear... Time has a way of healing the unbearable pain. They will never be forgotten. Bless your heart sweetie. xoxo

I could NOT post this for some reason:
This is an email from the company that makes it...
Now, they would NOT tell me what kind of soft wood they used, and magazines? Childrens homework? Office paper? You might as well use petroleum ink based newspaper! Not to mention all the tape and labels in their cardboard... They falsely advertise it as 100% recycled newspaper...What a lie! I think it is an outrage...
Thank you for contacting Nestl

Back