Please help!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kayleigh

I adopted two girls two weeks ago. They are around 2 and a half months old. They were both very skittish when I adopted them. I’ve been in the cage offering treats, talking nice and calm and one of the girls is happy to climb into my dressing gown and have an explore. She loves to stand on my hand to eat treats but won’t be picked up yet. That’s fine it’s going to take time :) however the other girl is really struggling. She won’t take any treats from me and she will hide as long as I’m in the room. I spend around 4 hours a day with them. I’m careful with a gentle tone and I’m excellent at staying still. Nothing seems to be working and I’m actually worried for her. She’s so scared of me and I just don’t know how to help.

Just keep trying! Some rats warm up way faster than others. I've had rata take up to a year.

Some rats may just end up being more reclusive than others as well.

keep doing what you are doing … getting used to you, watching her sister safely interact with you, and you are respecting her space ... you have no idea what trauma she may have gone through.

You can find some ideas at www.joinrats.com

Is their cage in a high traffic area of the home? That might help her get used to seeing people and hearing noises and such. Your approach and interactions with them is good. It may take quite a few months for the fearful one to come out and be more trusting but keep at it. When I had my rats in their own rat rooms, I'd have a radio on for them during the day so it wasn't so quiet.

Hi they are in the living room :) thank you I will continue to do what I’m doing

Back