Please help!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

AlexZerria

So my baby Lily has started to make this noise on top of losing weight, whats wrong?! I can't take her to the vet until Monday or Tuesday, but I'm scared that if this is something serious that she won't make it till then! Please, if you know what's wrong or have any ideas on what I can do to help her, let me know!

It sounds like she has a respiratory infection.
She is likely losing weight because it is hard to breath and eat at the same time

Lily needs to be put on antibiotics asap
Depending on what the vet thinks is the issue, probably clavamox or amoxi (secondary infection) or if a myco flareup then baytril, or baytril + doxy, or baytril + azithromycin ……. all given orally twice a day for at least 4 to 6 weeks if they are helping
…. if antibiotics do not start to help after a few days then the vet needs to try a different combo of antibiotics

How does she sound if you hold her up to your ear and listen to both sides of her chest?

Last edited:
When I hold her to my ear i can clearly tell when she breathes and when she makes the noise. Her lungs sound clear, I don't hear any liquid or mucus. The noise she's making sounds like it's coming from the throat and nose.

Those sounds are more nasal popping which is better than lung involvement. Usually a rat is labouring to breathe when you see weight loss but not in her case. How old is she?

Okay hopefully she's just the lean sort of rat. So she's acting perfectly normal except the nasal noises? She should be treated for a respiratory infection but it's not as urgent at this stage, so she should be fine til the vet clinic opens.

Back