Please help,possible case of PT

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know that it’s almost impossible but try to stay positive for her. Whatever helps you relax, try to do more of that to keep your mind off of it. You’re doing everything you possibly can right now, so try not to think about it too much. If it is an ear infection, there’s a good chance that she could survive, and that seems more likely at this point. I’m sure you’ve probably read all the forums but try to see if you can find some inner ear infection stories that have positive outcomes, because it’s helpful to know what’s possible. If you could get a video of her eating solids, that might also be helpful to try to figure out what this is

So this is how she is today she didn't eat her solids and she ate some yogurt before that abd also I managed to give her water through the syringe. I am not sure if she is getting better or not..

Today i started feeding her with baby food,and then i had to wash her,she has not been to the toilet at all in two days.

She still seems pretty lively and her balance is pretty good, but not eating solid food is concerning. I think holding the food down with their paws is technically still using them though so that’s good. It does sound like she might be getting worse but she still looked really good in the video so I’m not sure why. I would definitely try to ask for enough baytril for a while longer if you haven’t already and a second antibiotic would probably help

I hope that tomorrow the new vet will have some more ideas on what might be wrong with her,i hope to be able to get more meloxicam cause that seems to help her more,but in general i am not sure if she is getting better or not,i've been living like this for a week now and i had lost any idea of what's going on around me.

I will probably go with an Xray to see if there is like a tumor or something else going on inside,so i hope for the best,that's all i can do for now i guess.And i will ask for more meloxicam and a stronger antibiotic

With inner ear infection they base diagnosis on symptoms or put a scope down the ear so they can look for inflammation, discharge. X-rays probably won't help. She seems neurological not using her paws but they aren't clubbed. It's like she's had a stroke

With inner ear infection they base diagnosis on symptoms or put a scope down the ear so they can look for inflammation, discharge. X-rays probably won't help. She seems neurological not using her paws but they aren't clubbed. It's like she's had a stroke
Well we will see what the vet will say, but if it was a stroke is there a chance that she will become better?

Rats can recover from strokes. Years ago, our boy Chase had a stroke. He couldn't walk straight for a few weeks, but with lots of care and a safe environment, he recovered to live for quite a while (in rat lifespan terms, anyway).

If your wee girl has had a stroke, it's not necessarily the end of the world for her, especially if she's showing signs of recovery already.

So we went to the new vet today,and it turned out that she actually knew what she was doing and she did have experience with rats,so she checked my baby very well and she said that neurological she seems pretty fine,but since she is already on meds she can't tell for sure if the meds don't mask the symptoms.Anyway,she checked her ears and they are healthy,as well as her limbs and eyes.She saw that some of her back teeth are a bit too long and probably causing discomfort and since my pet got reduced apetite before she started to lose balance,she thinks that probably the teeth are the problem.We have a new appointment on Monday probably for a trim of the teeth if she doesn't start eating solids again.And she gave me more medicine,like baytril and some other stuff like pain killer and we will see if all those stuff help and she starts to eat solid again the trim may not be necessarily.

Sounds like pretty good news! Hopefully she starts eating solids again on her own. I’ve had a tooth trim on one of my boys and he bled a lot, just to warn you of what can happen. I called the vet and they said bleeding was normal, but the amount shocked me

That's good to know, thanks! The vet office I take my rats to is owned by a vet that specializes in rabbits and other exotics, but he doesn't actually see any of my rats so unfortunately I go to a vet that will take rats but doesn't know much about them.

Sadly today Mishka had to be put down, she had a major stroke and a brain tumor. Unfortunately I was right. My baby wasn't even an year old. Now she is with my first rat and my dog, may she rest in peace. Thank you again guys for everything.

Back