Please help Mocha is making strange noises

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MomokoCove

Okay, so I purchased two young rats a couple days ago from the same litter. Sisters actually, but the smaller female Mocha is making a strange noises almost like coughing. I'm really worried. It wasn't much before but now she having them in fits. Her sister also may be pregnant... should I separate Vanilla and Mocha?

http://s241.photobucket.com/user/Momoko ... 1.mp4.html

EDIT: The video won't work unless you use the link sorry.

Is there any way I can get an antibiotic from a pet store though? I don't have the money to afford a vet bill right now... I imagine it would be expensive though.

Sadly when they make that noise it is life or death for them to see a vet. They can get sick fast and go downhill faster. They will need to see a vet through out their life so you should start finding ways to save up funds for a vet visit. That noise will not go away on its own and it can very well damage their lungs and they could become chronic and need abs for life. I would call around to find a vet that can be affordable because she needs it.

Due to my not being able to pay for vet bills I called the store. They agreed to do a return and take them to the vet. After my babies are all better they will hold them for me to repurchase them just to be on the safe side.

Rats will need veterinary care throughout their lives. Vet bills are something you need to be prepared to pay for rats. What will you do if they do get these rats recovered and they get sick again and you have no money?

and it is highly unlikely that the store will provide them with the vet care and meds they need :(
Much less expensive to let them die horribly or make a minimal effort.

Rats are expensive in terms of vet care

They are not going to let them die.The manager owns rats herself and I will be speaking with the manager to make sure they get the proper care they need. And I'm going to start putting aside money for vet bills. I knew rats had some health issues but not this bad.

it depends on where they come from and what practices they do. Some stores have constant sick rats and dont care, they sell them regardless.. Some stores will make them better before letting them go out but it just all depends. THey come in large shipments at most pet store from breeders i am sure they dont even know very well. So when you go to a pet store chances are you will end up with a sick rat.

UPDATE: Okay guys, Mocha and Vanilla have been brought to the store and no I did not return them for my money but they are taking care of the vet bills and they are going in tonight or tomorrow morning to see a vet. Afterwards they will call me with the diagnosis, and they will be checking out Vanilla for the possibility of pregnancy since she's looking like she might be a momma.

Back