Playpen Ideas?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beautiful_Insanity

I am looking for some ideas on the best way to make a "playpen" type of set up for my 4 male ratties. As I've mentioned once or twice, I'm due on June 18th with my first child- and things could be getting pretty hectic for a while. I would really love to come up with something that I could have the boys in for a few hours in the day, where they could play and I could keep an eye on them. Sadly, I can't do anything like free range, because I also have dogs and a cat. Plus, the boyfriend would kill me.
So, if anyone has any suggestions on materials or ideas for building this playpen- please let me know :) All ideas are MUCH appreciated!

Coroplast is great for creating corrals. It's sheets of corrugated plastic boards. You can attach them together with zip ties. Or if you are able to order online, you could get a real rat playpen at www.martinscages.com
We have a few new moms and moms to be with rats here. It might be hard at first to balance everything at first but with time it will work out. I'm glad you aren't one of those who decides to rehome their pets simply because a human baby joins the household.

I've been aching for one of those Martin's playpens for awhile because it'd be so nice to have them out while you're doing other things - watching TV, doing the dishes - without having to worry 100% of th etime what they're up to, and pretty secure because of the ceiling. I'd definitely look into one if it's in your price range.

I've long been considering setting up a play area on a big table, like the folding kind people use at big events. That way you could clean it without having to bend as much, and you can fold it up and stash it away if you need extra floor space.

Grrreat Wall works great for my friend. :) I've heard awesome reviews on it. It is completely solid so that rats can't climb out of it; although, some nimble female rats and younger rats will be able to jump over it if they try hard enough. Look it up! :D

Thank you so much for the suggestions :)
I will look up the coroplast and great wall. I looked on martins cages, but couldn't find the section with playpens. I'll have to check again sometime.
I would never ever consider rehoming my babies just because there's a new addition joining the family. I think I would have to be dying in order to do that.

I have the Grrreat Wall and I love it! It's a little bit of a pain to set up because the plastic is so strong that you have to use your hands and legs...but it's worth it. I would have bought Coroplast to set up my own, I think it's lighter and then you can make whatever shape you want...but it was more expensive than the Wall. I know their original was only 18" high but now it's 24" and that's high enough for most rats. Madison got to the top once but only because I had a cardboard box in it (derrrr)!! So the downside is you want to put stuff to climb on it kind of defeats the purpose. I'm not sure what I would put in it for entertainment...because so far I've just been using myself as a playground :) I put a cloth elephant hidey thing in their and if I leave for a little while to clean the cage or something they just run around or hide in there. I think it might get boring if I left them alone for a few hours, but you could probably come up with some creative and entertaining, non elevating toys! lol

Thanks for posting the link. I saw that one when I checked earlier, but silly me, I thought it was a cage!
I really like the look of the Grrreat wall! It also seems like the cheapest, which is always a bonus. Not saying I wouldn't spend more on my fur babies, but with the upcoming expense of having a human baby, any money I can save will really help :)
I also like that you can roll it up and put it away when not in use- always a plus, especially when living in a less than huge house, surrounded by all sorts of critters lol. My only concern would be if they could jump out of it, but from what I can tell my boys are more climbers than jumpers.
As far as toys goes, I was thinking something close to the ground- like a digging box, or fishing for peas type of thing (perfect for those summer days!), and balls, tunnels, hide boxes, etc.
Any other toy suggestions are appreciated :) Along with more reviews about the Grrreat wall, or any other products- as it will probably be a little while before I can actually purchase it.
Oh, one more question- does anyone know if the shipping fee or duty is ridiculous? I do live near the border, and have a PO box in the states that can be used, if it would make shipping less.
Thanks so much for everyone's help!!

I think my shipping was 9.95 which brought it to about $55, still not bad at all :)
I'd be afraid that my girls would flip over the digging box and jump from it, and definitely would jump from a hidey house (unless it's a cloth one)! But if you order today, you'll have about a week to see what works before the baby comes. BTW
Congratulations!

You want the large powder coated martins playpen. Small bar spacing and a folding top.
But you wouldn't want to leave them in a room with dogs or cats

Things are a lot more expensive once they hit the border ... tax plus brokerage fees :( .... no duty as it is made in the USA
If you have a passport or know someone who would drive to Calais to pick it up, I know of a store where things can be mailed.
You still pay NB tax when you bring it across the border but no brokerage fees

Back