Placid is going in for surgery, back from the vet :)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lina

At the beginning of April I found a lump in Placid's groin and phew it was an abscess. It was lanced and I flushed two to three times a day and he had AB's for a couple of weeks.

After Placid's wound looking really good it just wouldn't heal up that last bit. All lumpiness was gone, just a leathery looking/feeling scab on the skin so we went back to the vet today for them to look at it. She was not sure what it is but feels it should be removed.
DSCF7420.jpg

So we have him back on AB's for a couple of days and on Friday morning he is going in for surgery. She is going to put desolvable stitches in and was wondering how to stop him annoying them and I suggested the vet wrap which she thought was a great idea.
I have to work in the afternoon so they will keep him all day to make sure he is comfortable and my daughter will pick him up after school.

Hopefully this will make things better because if it is something nasty it will come back :(

He is always in the wars lately as he hurt his shoulder over summer and couldn't use his leg and had to go and see the vet then as well. :doh:

Oh that poor boy. Surgically removing it is a good idea. I never had any of my guys bother with their stitches after any kind of surgery.
Good luck to Placid!!

The poor sweetie! My vets use intradermal stitches and that has work out really well. I hope it all goes well for Placid.

Placid op went well and he is now back home with me. The vet thought he would be best at home even though I won't be home this afternoon.
He was throwing himself around the cage a bit so he is now down my top where it is warm.

DSCF7435.jpg

Placid in his pretty blue cummerbund
DSCF7434.jpg

He got out of the first one the vet put on him and she rung me to come and help put another on :lol: He tried to have a chew on his stitches in the few minutes inbetween.

Lets hope the growth doesn't come back.

Poor baby! He really hates that cummerbund. That's probably why he was throwing himself around the cage. SQ once had Adam in a similar getup, and the poor little guy leapt up in the container all night until she took him out for comfort.

What did the vet say about what she removed? I assume it was some kind of tumour under the abscess?

I am glad he came through the surgery well. Healing vibes are zinging their way down to him. :heart:

Godmother said:
Poor baby! He really hates that cummerbund. That's probably why he was throwing himself around the cage. SQ once had Adam in a similar getup, and the poor little guy leapt up in the container all night until she took him out for comfort.

What did the vet say about what she removed? I assume it was some kind of tumour under the abscess?

I am glad he came through the surgery well. Healing vibes are zinging their way down to him. :heart:

He had just woken up about 10mins earlier and was abit confused but soon setlled down. He has had it on all afternoon with no prolbems. I did losen it a bit and he has kept it on. I will take it off tomorrow and if he is good it can stay off.

There was no tumour under the abscess but some kind of growth on the skin, I am not getting it check as it costs to much and if it is something nasty it will just come back but here hoping its all gone.

I got home from work and found that he had covered himself up with fleece and I put my hand in with him and he was so nice and warm I wanted to get in with him. :D

DSCF7436.jpg

Awww... he knows how to get comfy and happy.
It sounds like it was only dermal, like a cyst. :thumbup:
Histopathologies are very expensive here as well and we only send them out when necessary.

Hope he is feeling better soon! One thing about the blue wrap. Personally I would take it off.

Vet wrap shrinks up really easier and could be a lot tighter than you realize. Also be sure that he can adequately bend to reach his genital area with that on, boy wraps need to clean more than once a day to remove plug material and keep the area clean so they can pee. Otherwise you need to clean for him.

He was good all night so I took the wrap off him this morning. I made sure it wasn't too tight, I could fit my finger in it.
I put him in with the others for breakfast and he ate a bit and then had a good scrach and groomed himself with me watching closely to make sure he wasn't pulling stitches. But he behaved himself. :joy: The others all gave him a good sniff so now that the novely of it is over I think they will leave him alone :)

Its my first time with a rat with stitches so it all new. so far so good :D

Back