Pituitary Tumour in a 4 1/2 month old rat?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whirlytwirly

Toffee was born on the 29th of September. She was the smallest rat in a litter of 13. I still have 2 of her sisters and 3 brothers and they are all healthy happy rats though one sister living with someone else has had respiratory problems. She's still only a tiny little thing, easily one of my smallest girls.

Mum gets a little sniffly on and off too but otherwise she's healthy.

I noticed Toffee acting strangely about 5 days ago. She's always been a little hyper, doing things at full speed. She keeps jerking her head up and seems unable to control herself. If you put her on the floor she spreads her front and back legs out like she's trying to hang on to a moving surface. She tends to move in circles but isn't tilting to one side or another. She has a tiny amount of discharge from the nose but her breathing sounds clear. Her eyes and ears are clean. She's a tiny thing but hasn't shown any weight loss.

She can take food from my hand and she can still grasp food, though she's pretty wobbly. While she is eating she seems to sit pretty still. She can lick food from my fingers ok. She's also okay with climbing and grooming herself.

I took her to the vet who thought she may have an ear infection and she's now on Baytril and Doxycycline. She's been on this for two days with no real sign of improvement though she also doesn't seem to be getting any worse.

I feel so sorry for her but I think the symptoms are bothering me more than her.

Doe's it sound like PT? Can rats get other neurological problems? Could she have fallen and hit her head?

It's more likely to be an inner ear infection than PT at that age. Would your vet be willing to give an anti-inflammatory like Metacam or a steroid for a few days until the swelling goes down? That should help her to regain her balance and to stop walking in circles until the antibiotics can do their job.

Probably not...the other suggestion if she didn't improve was to have her PTS :sad3: . My favourite vet moved away at the beginning of this year :cry3: and I'm back to square one to find another decent one that doesn't charge through the roof.

Has she got any hope without an anti-inflammatory?

The treatment for pt is also an antibiotic and an anti-inflammatory ....

If it is an inner ear infection, the antibiotics should kill the infection but without an anti-inflammatory to reduce swelling, she may have permanent damage.

It could be neurological, but sounds more ear infection... what you describe almost seems like she's dizzy.
Continue the treatment for at least 2 weeks and see how she is. I wouldn't have her pts though, only if she's in pain.

Thankyou Godmother :) I have some ibuprofen so I'll give that a try. I've gotten the dosage off rat guide (I love that site).

I'll keep you posted how she goes (the cute little mite is fast asleep in her snuggle sack atm :heart: )

I would have to agree that it sounds like an inner ear infection and i would start out by using antibiotics first.
The ibuprofin will help with any swelling and make her more comfortable.

The biggest problems with the use of steroids is that the animals can get addicted and they need to be weaned from them, they are also an immunity suppressant which can cause other issues.

Give it at least 3-5 days before expecting anything major to change and as someone else said it can take weeks for it to be totally treated *hugs*

Her loss of balance doesn't really seem to have improved yet but she's been back to her perky bouncy self the last couple of days. She also doesn't seem to be tossing her head about as much.

I made her vegetable oatmeal last night and the little glutton ate so much she had this fat little belly :heart: . At least her appetite doesn't seem to be affected lol.

I know this thread is old,old,old but I was reading through old posts and thought I'd give an update.

Toffee is now almost 17months and still going strong. She's a big fat girl now and has the most crazy personality. She never completely regained her balance and will still at times do crazy things like tumble down the ramp or try to "fly" out of the hammock :emb: . I think she has some brain damage or is wired differently to my other girls as her personality is just so spacey and aloof. I love her to bits though!

I recently was given another little girl with the same symptoms so I've put her on the same course of treatment that Toffee went on and am feeling hopeful she'll make a recovery :)

Back