Pit Bulls - Tell me your experiences

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my friend has a male and female pit bull, and I said she was lucky because while most females want males during heat her female will really really... put her foot down and is grumpy when it comes to the male getting frisky with her... But yes after intense training and such they are quite lovable. Be prepared for much chewing and destroying of stuff while training, and possibly tearing down curtains. My collie did a lot of chewing destroying of stuff, but not as much as my friends pit's did. Just break that habit quick, and once the training is well under way, they are quite wonderful.

Its true there are more pitbulls out there in rescues than any other dogs. That really isn't disputable. Just because a small town has 7% doesn't even come close to contending with the rescues everywhere else. I look at rescue websites constantly and at least 70% are pitbulls.

That doesn't mean there aren't good pitbulls out there

To the person getting a greyhound- I was attacked by a greyhound when i was 9 years old. We got her from a greyhound rescue.

I now own 2 dobermans - another dog with a bad rap. They are great companions.

CrocHunter said:
To the person getting a greyhound- I was attacked by a greyhound when i was 9 years old. We got her from a greyhound rescue.

I think people really underestimate the need of supervising kids with dogs... especially a dog like a rescue greyhound who had little socialization period, let alone with children.

CrocHunter said:
I now own 2 dobermans - another dog with a bad rap. They are great companions.

Dobies are awesome, but most of the ones I've met have been slightly neurotic, oddly enough. I think it's just the trend in my area, though.

I only illustrated the greyhound because it really can be any type of dog. The pitbulls are just so numerous because of irresponsible breeding moreso than other dogs it seems. I would definitely get another greyhound in the future.

Heck Greyhounds were used to develop the Doberman along with rotties and pinchers.

I have a great watchdog and companion in my female. The male is an absolute lover, and calm as any dog i've known. Just goes to show that every dog has a different personality, and the rap that pitbulls get has a lot to do with irresponsibility and inbreeding.

CrocHunter said:
Its true there are more pitbulls out there in rescues than any other dogs. That really isn't disputable. Just because a small town has 7% doesn't even come close to contending with the rescues everywhere else. I look at rescue websites constantly and at least 70% are pitbulls.

*cough* Small town? Do you have any idea how many people live here? Over 36 million people live in the state of California, around 12% of the entire US population. The area where I pulled up that 7% is the 3rd largest metropolitan area in California, with a population of over 4 million people, around 12% of the population for the whole state of California.

Even when I added in the metropolitan area of Los Angeles, with a population of more than 9 million people, pit bulls found in rescues and shelters barely made it to 20%. Labradors, German shepherds, poodles, other terriers, and spaniels were found in similar numbers in those same shelters. This 20% HARDLY makes up the 9 out of 10 that someone previously stated, and is not even close to half of the 70% you are now trying to claim.

Please explain to me... how does over 13 million people make a "small town"?

I see you're on some sort of crusade - but it really doesn't change the fact that pitbulls do make up a plurality of unwanted dogs. You seem to be the only one trying to dispute that. I never called the whole state of California a smalltown. And someone already posted statistics which prove my point about California.

CrocHunter said:
I see you're on some sort of crusade - but it really doesn't change the fact that pitbulls do make up a plurality of unwanted dogs. You seem to be the only one trying to dispute that. I never called the whole state of California a smalltown. And someone already posted statistics which prove my point about California.

I am disputing the statement that pit bulls are the "majority" of dogs in shelters and rescues, because they are NOT.

No one posted statistics that prove your point about California. I LIVE in California. I have pulled up lists showing THOUSANDS of dogs from shelters and rescues THROUGHOUT Southern California, and barely 20% of those are pit bulls. How does this prove your point?

You DID call California a "small town" by stating my 7% as being from a "small town". I want to know what you consider a "small town", since the numbers I used to get that 7% were from shelters and rescues throughout Southern California. I don't know the squire mileage off the top of my head, but as I already stated, the human population of these areas where these numbers come from is over 4 million.

No i didn't call California a small town. I'm really not going to hash that with you. And yes here in Detroit, 70% of them are Pitbulls, and I know its true for most inner cities. It seems like you're citing several milllion acres of southern california which may or may not be a large collection of rural areas with a few cities thrown in.

I guess the proper terminology shouldn't be "majority" it should be Plurality. If Pitbulls make up 20% and that is just one breed, yes that is a plurality. Meaning more pitbulls are in shelters than any other single breed. You really like to split hairs. That has been my point all along.

CrocHunter said:
Heck Greyhounds were used to develop the Doberman along with rotties and pinchers.

One of the reasons I always loved dobies, they share a similar physicality.

CrocHunter said:
No i didn't call California a small town. I'm really not going to hash that with you. And yes here in Detroit, 70% of them are Pitbulls, and I know its true for most inner cities. It seems like you're citing several milllion acres of southern california which may or may not be a large collection of rural areas with a few cities thrown in.

I guess the proper terminology shouldn't be "majority" it should be Plurality. If Pitbulls make up 20% and that is just one breed, yes that is a plurality. Meaning more pitbulls are in shelters than any other single breed. You really like to split hairs. That has been my point all along.

I have no problem with someone saying *THEIR* specific area has more pit bulls than anything else. What I have a problem with here is that the generalization that pit bulls are the number one dog found in shelters/rescues everywhere (not necessarily your statement, but previous statements made that you are agreeing with).

As for the rescues/shelters I am looking at making up a large collection of rural areas - No, that is not the case. I am looking specifically at the Inland Empire and Los Angeles areas. These are both metropolitan areas - metropolitan means *CITY* with lots of people, NOT country. I can show you on a map where the Inland Empire is. If you want to look up specific cities within the Inland Empire, go ahead. Some of these include San Bernardino, Riverside, Moreno Valley, Redlands, Yucaipa, Calimesa, Banning, Beaumont, Hemet, San Jacinto, and more. There are "unincorporated" "towns" (still larger than "cities" in other states) such as Mentone and Mira Loma. Go ahead and look up these cities. Some of them are larger than others, but they contain quite a large population.

And you know the number one dog showing up in shelters in these areas? It is NOT pit bulls... it is chihuahuas. Chihuahuas number closer to 25-30% of ALL dogs in these shelters, compared to 20% (to be generous) that are pit bulls. I am not saying there are not a lot of pit bulls in shelters and rescues, what I am saying is that they are not the number one dog. In some areas, they may be, but that does not account for all areas. I will believe it that Detroit has a much higher number of pit bulls, because Detroit does have a big problem with dog fighting, and pit bulls are pretty much the number one breed used in fighting. However that trend does not stretch across the board. Areas that have banned pit bulls are going to have lower numbers than areas that have not banned pit bulls. areas that do not have a big problem with dog fighting are going to have fewer pit bulls than areas with more dog fighting. In my area, there ARE dog fighting rings, in both the Inland Empire AND Los Angeles. The problem is, I believe, bigger in Los Angeles than the Inland Empire, so naturally Los Angeles shelters will have more pit bulls than those in the Inland Empire. Still, when you look at all of these shelters put together, the pit bulls only come out to about 20% of all dogs, with Chihuahuas pretty much always being higher. Other breeds come in at different numbers for different areas, some areas have more of other breeds than they do pit bulls. There are variations.

*edited for typos

It doesn't surprise me that Southern California would have slightly more chihuahuas than pitbulls (Paris Hilton?) - But across the board I think you'll find time and again pitbulls holding the plurality because people breed them as a status symbol.

I am not against pitbulls - you take me all wrong.

Later this morning I am going to pay the adoption fee for a female APBT. She is calm, loving and very very friendly. Her foster family calls her "wiggle butt". We sat with her last night, she ignored the cats and was very submissive with the other dogs. Sure she could turn and attack another dog or a cat, but I believe training and understanding her place in her "pack" is crucial to helping avoid this. Her name is Tulip by the way..we are keeping that, it fits her personality!

I have been reading and learning about this breed for years, my older sister has 2 pit bulls. My 13 yo daughter was raised with the oldest, Sassyfrass. You have to supervise, understand and be willing to make your dog a shining example of the breed. Irresponsible owners are the problem, not the dogs.

I read somewhere that no "altered" pit has ever been involved in a mauling..dont know if its true, but if it is...one more of the many reasons we should spay and neuter!!!!!

We lost our beloved dobe, Sara, on September 3rd :sad3: . She was the sweetest dog I have ever known and it makes me laugh to think what a bad rep dobes once had.

I dont know..maybe Im taking a chance, but Tulip needs a home and I am in the position to give her one :)

In my area, the shelters are full to busting with pit mixes. Its sad all the way around.

anita1216 said:
Later this morning I am going to pay the adoption fee for a female APBT. She is calm, loving and very very friendly. Her foster family calls her "wiggle butt". We sat with her last night, she ignored the cats and was very submissive with the other dogs. Sure she could turn and attack another dog or a cat, but I believe training and understanding her place in her "pack" is crucial to helping avoid this. Her name is Tulip by the way..we are keeping that, it fits her personality!

I have been reading and learning about this breed for years, my older sister has 2 pit bulls. My 13 yo daughter was raised with the oldest, Sassyfrass. You have to supervise, understand and be willing to make your dog a shining example of the breed. Irresponsible owners are the problem, not the dogs.

I read somewhere that no "altered" pit has ever been involved in a mauling..dont know if its true, but if it is...one more of the many reasons we should spay and neuter!!!!!

We lost our beloved dobe, Sara, on September 3rd :sad3: . She was the sweetest dog I have ever known and it makes me laugh to think what a bad rep dobes once had.

I dont know..maybe Im taking a chance, but Tulip needs a home and I am in the position to give her one :)

In my area, the shelters are full to busting with pit mixes. Its sad all the way around.

If she's the dog for you, it's wonderful! Really, taking in any new pet is taking a "chance"... we took a "chance" adopting our two 7 year old Chihuahuas in April - lots of people thought we were crazy for getting chihuahuas! And they're the best little dogs, as anyone who was at Rat Shack Fest can attest :D

If she's the dog for you, it's wonderful! Really, taking in any new pet is taking a "chance"... we took a "chance" adopting our two 7 year old Chihuahuas in April - lots of people thought we were crazy for getting chihuahuas! And they're the best little dogs, as anyone who was at Rat Shack Fest can attest

I walked into the house and her foster mom went to get her, she came right up to me and put her head into my lap and sighed. Her butt all crazy wagging, something about her feels right and my heart tells me this is the right thing to do.

I am happy to hear your adoptee's worked out so well :dance:

Back