Piper suddenly started making horrible respiratory sounds

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mandon

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mchbjy5YI_Q[/ame] <--- There's a video for reference. She stopped now but earlier she just started making these horrible sounds you'd normally see with a rat with an advanced URI. I don't know how to explain it, because Piper's never had any symptoms leading up to this and as I type this she's stopped making them and she's climbing around on the bars of her cage, exploring, acting totally normal. Her lungs are totally clear too.

She was also making horrible sneezes too.

Is it possible this is a one time thing that occurred because she got something in her nasal passages? Piper's my favourite rattie right now and she's the only thing helping me cope with the reality that Momo will be gone before long... I don't want to see her get sick.

I cannot really tell what that is no matter how many times I listen to it so I'll tell you what we have here. I have a few that sound like percolators - they turn the sound on and off at will. We treated them for months for URI's before we just realized they make the sound when they want too. I also have some that do the same thing, but sound like chipmunks. To me, f I'm hearing right that sounds clicky, possibly nasally. You could try dye free benadryl, but I would see a vet because I've also had some that make weird noises on and off that turned out to be cardiac related. So to be on that safe side I would rule out cardiac and respiratory before deciding it's just a strange noise your rattie makes to drive you crazy.

I posted a while ago because My Dawson sounded exactly the same as yours! I put him on baytril just incase, but later discovered that it's more like an expression and part of their personality.

Dawson will make this noise every now and again when he's excited about something, curious, or feeling hyper about something. He can turn it on and off, as and when he wants to. Which is hardly ever really.

Dspch has also experienced this with her furries too.

Oh, really?! That's not good. I fear for Dawson, knowing this dspch. Would you recommend that I get his heart checked out?
The guys I have like your Dawson are not the ones that turned out being cardiac. Cardiac boys were different than my percolator/chipmunk sounding boys. Those guys turn it on and off - like you said mostly when excited or mad! Cardiac boys just made odd noises for no reason on and off, plus you can hear something odd when you rat phone them. Perculator justs rattles/vibrates when you listen to him. He is going to the vet Saturday since he is really not sounding that great lately and we've had him on baytril/doxy for weeks since we had it. I think he might be sick along with percolating....

Oh dear, I'm sorry to hear that. Well if the antibiotics haven't helped, it stands to reason that it could be his heart? I hope you get to the bottom of it.

Oh dear, I'm sorry to hear that. Well if the antibiotics haven't helped, it stands to reason that it could be his heart? I hope you get to the bottom of it.

Hawk has an upper and lower respiratory infection and has been put on azithromycin. Normally he'd be put on baytril/doxy, but we have been giving him that for 3-4 weeks already on our own. He is still percolating, but was now making a different sound as well - that's why we took him in.

Back