Pip- late 2006 (?) to May 28 2008

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

groundhog593

After a long fight, Pip passed away in the early hours of the morning.

She had lost an enormous amount of weight (it is hard for me to believe she and her sister used to be known as "the fat rats," that bullied the other two to get at the food).

She was breathing labouriously for a week, and didn't seem to respond to her antibiotics treatment. Yesterday, her deterioration was just too much for her. She was limp in my hands as I tried to coax her to eat, to drink. Meds dribbled down her chin, and she showed little interest in cleaning herself or grooming.

Holly came over and we tried a dose of oral steroids, and the maximum dose of zithro combined with her baytril, but Pip didn't want to fight anymore. She would drink some of her re-hydration liquid, then let the rest dribble down her face, when she realized what it was. I held her for most of the night, but put her in the prime hammock with her sister and friends when she would not have me anymore. This is where she was when I noticed that the deep, convulsing breaths that had strained her so much had stopped. Oh Pip. I let the others cuddle her for a few more minutes, then tried to remove her body from the cage, but it was difficult. Her sister Nic did not like it.

Pip had become the gentlest rat in the cage. She swayed from side to side when she was trying to keep still, to listen for the approach of a treat. She walked daintily, and kept herself so tidy. She was not herself these last few days and I am glad that she could go when she wanted to, peacefully, and with her friends.
20080528-m519p7a6hs1255btqjt3c3rkck.jpg

Pip was one of the two first rats I got. Thanks, Pip, for teaching me so much, and I'm sorry I couldn't help you better.
20080528-mc35h4ss4gtgf9n86tij3hxfhj.jpg

20080528-1x8pk1ud9q2s7d41bcnwi74r4x.jpg

20080528-juw8aiciie934q1xt5ty9em8jn.jpg

I am sooo very sorry about your loss of such a lovely lady.

You tried all you could but her body and spirit had had enough.

You are in my thoughts today. ((hugs))

:heart:

I am so very sorry.
Pip :heart: was a wonderful little rattie who was well loved.
She had a good life with you, tho we wish it had been longer.

:hugs:

For the loss of Pip :heart: I am so sorry, all my best wishes to you and your other rats. :hugs:

Back