Pinky surprise!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

rattyice

About a month ago one of our pairs of rats lost a member, leaving his brother alone. We adopted a young male rat as a companion for our buddy. They were getting along great, they love each other, but yesterday morning our new "male" rat gave birth to 10 pinkies. We separated them immediately (still close so they can see each other) as to avoid another pregnancy, but the male is heartbroken right now. I am wondering if I can have him neutered, would it be okay to let him back in with her? They keep trying to touch each other through the cages, and its breaking my heart to watch. When we found them yesterday morning he was cleaning some of the pinkies (she must have given birth within the hour of finding them), and he's a really gently rat, I doubt there's any risk to the pinkies, but I've never been in this situation. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Don't put them back together until 2-3 weeks after he's neutered. How old is he? Another thing you could do is put two of the male babies in with him after they are weaned. So about 5-6 weeks. The boy and girl could get pregnant again right away, so your best bet is to keep them separated. I think you can let them have a few mins to play here and there, but keep a VERY close eye on them and make sure he doesn't mate with her again (it just takes seconds). Then, when babies get big enough, put boys in with dad, and girls with mom. The boys will very obviously be boys around 4-5 weeks. Until then, look on here, and there's a thread that helps you to sex them. Make sure to handle babies often, and give mom lots of stuff to make a nest with (paper towel strips, strips of tissue paper, strips of fleece), and the proper nourishment. Enjoy the babies. They are so fun to watch grow and learn.

If you got Dad out right after the birth she likely didn't go into her post-partum heat and is pregnant again. If you can get him neutered, you can keep their cages close together and reintroduce after he is neutered and the babies are big enough (or as said, carefully introduce the baby boys back to him after they are weaned).

Thank you both for the advice!

"If you got Dad out right after the birth she likely didn't go into her post-partum heat and is pregnant again."
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this. You think he may have been removed too late?

Back