PINK patch on nose?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegoldenrat

Heya-
So I noticed a small pink patch on my ratties nose about a few weeks ago. And today I noticed it's getting larger. It's hard to tell from the photo... But there might be a little less hair in that area now? It wasn't like this before... It used to be grey. At first I thought she might have bumped her nose... But it's been almost a month now, so I dont think it's that. She is just over a year old and overall healthy. She seems a little slower now and less playful, but that may be because she's a bit fatter now. ;). When I touch her nose, she doesn't flinch, so I don't think it's painful. Has anyone ever experienced this? I've never seen this before and I can't find anything online. Also...I don't think shes been in any fights, so it isn't that...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!
-M.

She doesn't seem to be rubbing at it... And it doesnt look like it hurts her because she lets me touch it. I will try to get a closer photo tonight. She is very camera shy so.. It's been challenging! :) thank you! Will post soon!

Oh man! I just can't take a clear picture.... She moves too much!!! 😔
Don't think this is any better. But I will show before and after:

This is before, you'll see how gray her nose is...

And here is after:

You can see how pink her entire nose is...
FYI- I touched again and there IS hair there...so it's not bald. It looks like maybe underneath is irritated. Is it possible this is an aging thing or new markings? If just doesn't seem realistic as she is only about 14 months old.....

That is very odd...
Has she ever been treated with something like Revolution or Ivermectin? Perhaps she has lice or mites. They can come in on bedding, litter etc or with a new rat. It would be easy to rule something like that out by treating everyone...

It doesn't look like mites... But I will try revolution!
I'll also take her to get a check up at the vet. If I find anything new, I'll be sure to post it up just in case someone down the line has the same problem in the future! Thanks so much again!!! :D

Joanne!
So I've been observing Ella and it looks like she's been scratching her nose often. I think that is what is causing the pinkness. I don't know why she's scratching it so much, but at least I know it's not something serious. Whew! I will get the revolution and see if that helps! Thank you again! -M.:mouse1np1:

Back