Phytoestrogens in Soy Milk

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LA

Jo we had been talking about this. I was in the grocery store and they had this free magazine that I picked up. One of the letters to the magazine asked about soy having estrogen hormones. Well they gave the low down on it. Sorry it gets technical.

Soy contains phytoestrogens, structurally similar to human estrogen, but physiologically delivering extremely weak estrogenic effects. Phytoestrogens compete with human estrogen for binding to estrogen receptors. The presence of phyoestrogens results in an overall reduction in estrogenic activity, which is consistant with reduced rats of hormone-dependant cancers seen in populations that consume significant amounts of soy products. Therefore, soy consumption would be anticipated to promote health and likely contribute to an overall reduction of hormone-dependent cancer risk. In addition to these benefits, soy consumption is associated with reduced cardiovascular disease risk.

So my question is this. if its possible that soy could reduce the chance of cancer in humans is it possible that it could be the same in rats? I mean if giving soy possibly reduces cancer in female rats I would go out and by some up and give it to them regularily.

Any comments?

It seems to have sound reasoning....the only back side that I could reason out in my head (bearing in mind that this is JUST ME MAKING THINGS UP) would be that if the body's estrogen receptors are occupied by soy's phytoestrogens that due to their weak-estrogen-like activity the body thinks that there isnt enough estrogen circulating, thus resulting in an increase in estrogen receptor production on cell membranes as well as increased estrogen production systemically - which may result in problems.

I like the positive-soy-effect story better...mainly because its nicer....also because it isnt made up....like mine

Hmmm that makes me think. Would that happen, I don't know, any of the biology members know anything about this?

I think what is says is that if the receptors are full estrogen that the body produces is reduced because there is no receptors left to fill. So if you drink soy milk, your body would make less estrogen.

This is very very interesting!!! Cityratt does have a point though. But to deliver estrogen to the body, it needs the receptors right? And if the receptors already have the phytoestrogen, there's no room for the natural estrogen. Does that make sense?
This is promising!!!

If the estrogen receptors already have something like estrogen on them, they shouldn't think that they aren't getting enough... Think of it as a kind of depression medication... those are made to attach to the receptors and make us feel happier. The body doesn't try to make more receptors, it just goes "Ah, well, that feels nice" LOL!

This does sound promising! I hate to think about it but... I'm sure that someone has done an experiment on rats regarding this *shudder* so I'm sure we could find out if someone doesn't mind getting their hands and emotions a little dirty... I can't do it... I get pretty worked up about animal testing >.<

When I get the chance, I'd like to read up more on it. We have to keep in mind that the article was written in order to promote soy so I'd like to see what the other side says too.

Yea sorry guys - i was stuck on thinking about how the body recruits oxytocin receptors to the uterine linding due to increased ammounts of estrogen....

Wrong receptor! :oops:

This is interesting... especially because I have been enjoying soy milk myself lately, since I bought it to try over my last course of meds for the girls.

So if the phytoestrogen is binding to the estrogen receptors there will be reduced estrogen activity so that makes sense that the tumours which are hormone dependent will be greatly reduced as well.

jorats said:
When I get the chance, I'd like to read up more on it. We have to keep in mind that the article was written in order to promote soy so I'd like to see what the other side says too.

Actually it wasn't technically an article. In the magazine someone wrote in thanking the magazine for all their great info and stating they would like more info on Soy. She had heard good and bad things about Soy and being someone who was Asian (her words) was curious to know more. So the magazine found someone on the topic and they answered.

With that said I want to do some more research and maybe talk to my vet about it more. I don't want anything to be false and have the reverse results.

As I recall, Debbie D., also states that soy is a good thing for ratties. She recommends a good dose of soy for our kiddies. stating (I believe ) that soy prevents cancer in rats. But I might also suggest, that if we all finally determine that soy is GOOD for our kids, that we should buy only ORGANIC soy products if at all possible. I have read that soybean crops are sprayed with some of the highest levels of pesticides/chemicals. It probably would affect our kids tiny bodies even more so.

Back