PHOTOS added: Ratties coming home today to their mega-CN!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godmother

I am pretty excited to be welcoming home my gang today, after so long feeling like their godmother instead of their mama. SQ has done an amazing job of keeping them happy and healthy while my life was upside down with vacation, family issues, and construction on the house. :bow:

For ages I have wanted to create a joined pair of double CNs, so that older ratties will have lots of horizontal space when they can no longer climb ramps. SQ told me how to do it, so I worked on it yesterday in prep for the homecoming. They were supposed to come home yesterday, but here's what happened....

When God was giving out spatial ability, I must have been out having coffee. I mistakenly put the middle grid (with the hole for the ramp) in the wrong place IN BOTH CNs! So, when I went to decorate the cage I realized that the rats would have no way to get up to the top. :emb: :gaah:

So my husband helped me to take things apart and re-assemble the cage, which is not an easy task. A few sharp words were exchanged. :lol: By the time all that was over, I was tired (had been up early).

But now I am putting the final touches on the rat room. They will be able to have out time in their own room again. :joy: Once I sell my other FN the room will have much more room to manouver.

Photos to follow soon.

You are not alone... it seems that every single time I put together an FN or CN or doubling them up, I end up doing something wrong and having to start all over again. Sharp words indeed. lol
I can't wait for pics!!

They are nicely settled in, and they will soon get the porridge that they would have this this morning if their mama were not spatially challenged.

Here was the cage before they got home:
CNmega-cageresized.jpg

Here are my new boys, Jack & Sawyer:

Sawyer having a drink (it's 30 degrees outside):
Sawyerwaterdishcroppedresized.jpg

Jack, wondering who is downstairs:
Jacknewcagecroppedresized.jpg

The rest of the gang was busy exploring. Even now, Cadillac is on guard while most of the others sleep.

Cookie and Mikey had a mild encounter:

CookieMikeyencounter.jpg

Molly wanted to check everything out:
Mollynewcagecroppedresized.jpg

Four of the others were thinking, "How do I get outof here and back to SQ's????"
KrisCaramelCookienewcageresized.jpg

The agouti's name is Rosine. She is a beautiful girl. I adopted her and her sisters from breakthenight. Rosine is the daughter of beautiful Rowan (RIP), a pregnant girly rescued from a feeder bin. Rosine looks a lot like her mama. They are the most wonderful sisters.

I love my monster cage! :joy: I can't believe that it is actually done. I am afraid ever to dismantle it again.

And I am so happy that the Rowan sisters are integrated with the others. Now if I can get Jack and Sawyer started on intros after another week or so (they were neutered last Monday), I will have one large colony.

I am so grateful to SQ for taking such loving care of my guys for so long, especially since she also did the intros.

I love that idea of having them side by side! Could you do it with just 2 FN or CN'? Or do you need to have 2 whole set ups? Lovely cages! And of course, beautiful ratties! Welcome back GM!

PitLuvs, I know of people who have joined CNs, FNs in various combinations. In the pair that I have, I kept the top halves separate so that the new boys can be close, but not too close, to the rats that they will be introduced to. When the intros are complete I will just open up the ramp on the left side. I am WAY too lazy to dismantle the cage and remove the barricade on the top part of the cage!

But if you want advice on how to join cages, I am definitely the wrong person to ask! I once puzzled for months about how to put my 695 back together properly after I had taken it down for storage... turns out I had either the front or the back upside down or backwards.

Jems71 & family, please note that Jack & Sawyer got goodnight cuddles & kisses. Everybody is looking livelier as the evening wears on. House temperature is comfortable.

GM, I hear you on that one. We took our 699 apart for Dean and Sam and put it back together last week for the two groups. Needless to say, the top half is on upside down and its staying that way! I cant wait to get a CN. I'll have to bug SQ for directions when that time comes :) Thanks!

Wow that cage looks fantastic!!! Happy, lucky ratters in your home!! the new boys are going to love their new family. Btw just the concept of putting 2 FN's or CN's together makes me want to RUN for the hills! :panic:

Back