Phoe and Alice

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bronwyn

Alice is still not quite sure what to make of Phoe. It's well established that she along with the other rats may play together but not touch. When sleeping like this, the other girls will approach her and sit and wait for her to wake up, quite literally by taking a pawful of fur and tugging it. If she doesn't respond, two paws tug. They tend to get a tap on the head when this happens but they get a playmate (tag seems to be common).

Anyway, Phoe has yet to show any respect for the cat and Alice is confused by this "hands on" baby thing as Phoe is very interested in being ON her. This breaks the rules!

Phoe was snacking on a lab block on my pillow and Alice dozed off...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IExxagh2msk

Oh wow, that was soooo adorable. Alice is probably thinking, "dang, she got a kitten!"
How wonderful that Phoe is not scared. You've got a winner there in that sweet little rattie!!

LOL yeah she's a little wonder! The two sisters took a few hours to realize Alice is no threat and they took advantage. ;) Alice is so bored though in this apartment I think she secretly likes the attention. Er, from the sisters, not Phoe. We're still working on this relationship, haha!

LOL Alice doesn't like her beauty sleep being interrupted. ;) Well, soft pats are fine. Not a rat climbing on her, hehehe.

She'll play with the other two just fine but just doesn't get how Phoe doesn't see how there are boundaries. :laugh2: I should get a video of the girls chasing her then switching it around and watching the cat bouncing around them. I'm not sure how "tag" happens but they all agree on it when it's someone else's turn to be chased.

I'm really lucky. Even Islay is good with everyone (my retriever). Indy was the same. Those two could/can really differentiate between rodents they're allowed to chase and those they can't. (wild vs. domestic) That being said I wouldn't leave them alone with the rats. Generally speaking, I trust them (Indy when she was alive), but instinct may take over some time and there's no taking that back.

Now...my old cat who died a few years ago was okay with hamsters only. When they escaped (always) he'd find them first and would bat them around. Too slow moving and boring for him. But once he leaped up and grabbed my little mouse girl out of my hands (I literally punched him in the stomach before he snapped her neck so she was okay...I was about 11 years old : x) and he killed my male mouse when he escaped. :( The current cat in Toronto, Willow, is a born hunter and always will be.

Alice is...a really, really weird cat! She hunts bugs with utmost efficiency, including fruit and house flies, and I wouldn't trust a mouse with her only because of the nature of how they move (fast and darting) but who knows, maybe she would be alright, lol.

I tried to take a video last night, lol, but the score was something like...

Rats: 5
Cat: 0

She wasn't in a playful mood I guess, just wanted to watch them. But they don't do the watching thing too well. :lol:

Back