Pet therapy rat in Kansas City first of its kind

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yay about time rats were recognised for their kind, caring, affectionate and therapeutic nature.
Thanks for sharing Eagle. :)

Make way cats and dog therapists! Here come the rats! I was beginning to wonder when someone would try this, I mean come on guys, don't you all relax when your ratties are with you? I DO!

I once read an article about a woman who has a "guide rat" which helps her with some aspect of her epilepsy. I can't find it, however... :(

This would probably be my dream job - helping others, while being an advocate for rats. If only I knew where to start! The zootherapy schools here only use cats and dogs...

Thanks for sharing the clip Eagle!
It was interesting to watch
Nice that rats are being recoignized as therapy animals .....

Guess I'm in a bad mood because I have some concerns ...
... that woman has a lone girl? and lets her down with the cat?
.... anyone watching that info is going to get the wrong info re rats :(
Guess I am ignorant ... Japanese rat? ... did she buy it in Japan?

Phyllis ... I am sure many of you remember Phyllis .... she used to take her rats with her to visit seniors in nursing homes and posted a few pictures years ago.

I saw pictures of Phyllis and her rats in therapy groups... that's what got the whole rat therapy thing rolling in my head to start with...

Cheyenne was, no doubt, chosen as a model for rats as mind-sets change around the planet; all good PR for beautiful rats whom all of us here have known forever are the best pets ever!

SQ said:

Phyllis ... I am sure many of you remember Phyllis .... she used to take her rats with her to visit seniors in nursing homes and posted a few pictures years ago.

I had the same concerns, I mean, it's generally NOT safe to let your rats and cat(s) hang out together.
& I also wondered what they mean by Japanese rat

SQ said:

Phyllis ... I am sure many

No she has other rats and while it is not ideal to let rats and cats interact, as a therapy animal they must be able to handle any situation.

Back