Pet Ratties going for walks outside?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smalltowngirl

I like to take walks and I'm wondering if it would be fun or scary for my furkids to ride my shoulders outdoors? I really don't want them on the ground because of bugs and getting dirty. :giggle: Okay, I guess I could let them get dirty if they wanted but no bugs are getting on my babies! They all 3 love to ride our shoulders while we do stuff around the house! What do you think or does anyone else actually do it?

I just realized I am in Habitat........sorry about that. :oops:

Some people take their rats outdoors.
The only way I would do it is if they were in a secure cage.

A rat riding on a shoulder is startled and then .... gone
Doubt a leash would help as they could chew through it in a second.

Lots of predators outside ... birds (hawks, eagles, ospreys, etc) as well as cats, raccoons, dogs, etc.

Parasites too ... fleas, mites, round worm eggs in soil, tics, etc.

If I had a yard I might try taking mine outdoors in a martins play pen (a large pen made of small gauge wire with a cover)

I agree with SQ, i'm not big on taking my guys outside unless secured. I have taken them out on my back deck under our gazebo. Any and all noises seemed to bother them, as well as the smells...
In my opinion it seemed far too stressful for them, and moi,..

Okay, those are the reasons I was scared to try it. I didn't want to stress them out but then again I didn't want to deprive them of something they might enjoy either. Thanks for your input........my babies thank you too!

I've done it before... depends on your rat and how comfortable he/she is with you and with new smells and such.
I remember someone writing about a person who would go biking with his pet rat. He'd put him the bike basket in the front and the rat just stayed there... greeted lots of people and all enjoyed it.

Mhh, personally, I wouldn't do it. I know my boys, they'll sit on my shoulder for a while, then get bored and will wiggle until I either let them down or they slide/fall off me. ;) Obviously, this would be a very bad thing outside.

I guess I could train them to stay put, but I'd still be very wary of taking them outside.

I have taken mine outside (howelse could I get outside photos) although I am very picky on who I would take outside. I will sit on my swing on the porch and let them run around (on the swing only) and once again only a select few usually my older ones.

I used to take ole Eli out for a run, because the hardwood floors were making it hard for him to manuever. He couldn't run far as his back legs were going, but it depends on your personal preference and your ratties' personality.

I've taken a few of my rats outside, but it seems that everyones said that it depends on the rats personality.
My rats Splinter, Throttle, Wolf and Lukie don't mind being outside on my shoulder or in my bag at all. But others do.

It depends on how comforable you are with it,

I have had shoulder rats that have gone litterally everywhere with me. This included outside. That being said, it really depends on a lot of factors the main ones are the area you are taking them, the other being the rat itself. Id never take a rat with me to say, a dog park, a grocery store, a place with a lot of natural predators I am aware of(Like, an area known to be a hunting ground for a bird of prey. Actually, where I would take certain rats depends on the rats themselves. McTavish, one of my past rats could go many different places with me. He sat on my shoulder, was very calm and not easily startled. One of our favorite places was the backyard, the library(NO not many people can get away with this. At this library I could.) which was quiet but busy with people, and the hardware store which was not very busy, but was louder than a lot of rats could tolerate. When I got Gaelan, he was more skiddish around loud noises, and did not shoulder sit as well. I kept him on a harness until he became more used to going around with me, but until he was over a year old the only outside places he could go was my yard, and one my shoulder walking down my small dirt road that had no traffic, ect. Otherwise he was not trustworthy. Now, however he has relaxed much more with age and I would trust him in my hood or pocket going many places. He is very laid back. Eros, I could never take anywhere. He is not a trustworthy shoulder sitter, though he too since getting older can go as far as maybe the stretch of grass in front of my building, provided he is easily accessable (in my hood where I could grab him fast, in my pocket with one hand one him, ect). I would not trust him elsewhere. Gallagher and Keiran after I adopted them I would not have trusted them anywhere outside with me, ever. They do not have the temperment that would allow for that. On the other hand Lochlan, a past rat of mine could go anywhere with me, and he did. He went to fairs, parades, stores, houses, park. He was a very special rat. I would never let any other rat go with me to those places. He was also partially crippled and should he have gotten away somehow(he would have never tried) I would have had no problems grabbing him. He was a special case. He went to a parade and the marchers handed him candy( :roll: which he accepted but didn't get to eat) and was loved on by a biker gang stopped in the traffic. I would never trust any other rat like that, ever. OUt of my current ratties, Gaelan could go some places outside with me, Eros none, Gallagher none, Rowan none, Seanan possibly eventually some but she is too young to be trustworthy enough yet. The other baby girls I have here, all are too young, active and playful to make any real guess.

So it depends on the rat, and depends on the places and depends on how well you have trained them to stay(train train train before you ever risk carrying them outside even on a leash!!), and how used to certain things(noises, strange people, ect) they are. You have to have 100% confidence that nothing will go wrong. Keep them on a harness is a great thing to do. Take them with you but dont let them run free, EVER.

Anywhere outdoors can have birds that would see ratties as prey and would swoop down and grab them. There would be nothing you could do.

In NB we have hawks, eagles, ospreys, etc living in the cities, as well as in the country. No way is a small pet safe from birds of prey in their back yard unless protected in an enclosure.
I know people who have watched, helpless, as a bird flew off with a kitten or cat ... nothing they could do ...

The risk you are taking may vary depending upon where you live and the personality of your rats. When you weigh the factors and decide whether or not to take them outdoors, it is important to realise that it is a risk.

Jorats, I remember Lynne on another forum had a cage mounted on her bike handle bars and she would sometimes take her ratties out with her when she went for rides in quiet areas ... I believe she lived in a more rural area, not a large city.

I take one of my girls with me all the time! She loves going on short errinds with me in the car and when i walk. Just make sure you think carefully about the pros and cons of everything then decide if its worth it :wink2:

Good Luck!

I guess I'm kinda lucky being able to sit out in my grandad's garden with the babies...
His elderly cat won't go near me, and therefore won't go near them, and we have no massive birds of prey in suburban England ><
I'd only take ratties outdoors with a safe place for them to go-like the carrier.

I need to travel a lot, and my rats always come with me. Although i carry them on a small cage, they always enjoy coming out to my shoulders and smell everything around them.

(I'm sure some of you remember my story.) Rizzo was the only rat in my life for a couple months while we were waiting to get his "adopted" brothers. He did A LOT of EVERYTHING w/us because we didn't like him being totally alone. So....anyway he has been out with me several times just hanging out on our patio while my dog and 3 year old plays when the temperatures are comfortable. HE LOVES IT! (I keep in mind about the birds of prey and I don't let him down to get on the ground with the bugs.) I really doubt any birds will come to close with my German Shepherd right there but I never underestimate wild animals so I'm still cautious. :thumbup:

Rats have very poor eye site so the new or different view does nothing for them.

They do enjoy fresh air and sniffing new smells ... but they can do that from the safety of a carrier or cage or even inside with the windows open.

My ratties often go places with me, but always from the safey of a carrier or a cage.

Our first little rattie girl was so relaxed we took her for car rides, grocery shopping with us. Sometimes she would stay in her snuggle sack, or she would ride on my daughters shoulder under her long hair... no one ever noticed her. We even took her to our church on halloween one year. they had what we would call a candy festival and she seemed very comfortable, unafraid to meet all the people... she was the best and sweetest. she loved people!

Back