Pet Rat started falling to one side, very unbalanced, lethargic not pooping

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cas

Last Monday morning, Joey (our pet Rat) was completely normal, playful happy.
Monday 4pm, play time. We open the cage and he is dragging his hind legs, not very lively. In the past 11days he has lost 100grams, is not pooping on his own and is barely getting around.

Multiple vet visits
X-rats done, initially though heart issue put on enaril, meloxidyl, gabapentin, clavamox.

3days later no improvement and no pooping.
More x rays, determined not heart but possible kidney or intestinal infection. Taken off of enapril. Put on metaclopromide, clavamox, meloxidyl & gabapentin.

6 days later (today) blood work came back with no abnormalities.
only pooping with assistance and it is all soft. Very lethargic. When he tries to walk he falls to his right side.

We are desperate to figure this out

Last Monday morning, Joey (our pet Rat) was completely normal, playful happy.
Monday 4pm, play time. We open the cage and he is dragging his hind legs, not very lively. In the past 11days he has lost 100grams, is not pooping on his own and is barely getting around.

Multiple vet visits
X-rats done, initially though heart issue put on enaril, meloxidyl, gabapentin, clavamox.

3days later no improvement and no pooping.
More x rays, determined not heart but possible kidney or intestinal infection. Taken off of enapril. Put on metaclopromide, clavamox, meloxidyl & gabapentin.

6 days later (today) blood work came back with no abnormalities.
only pooping with assistance and it is all soft. Very lethargic. When he tries to walk he falls to his right side.

We are desperate to figure this out
I make no promises about figuring this out but if you could post a video here of them moving/falling(upload it to YouTube or something like that and link it here) it would help immensely

I make no promises about figuring this out but if you could post a video here of them moving/falling(upload it to YouTube or something like that and link it here) it would help immensely
Here is from just now

Attachments

• IMG_4025.mov
    22.9 MB
I've been wracking my brain and I can only think of a few things but nothing fits it 100% so you might be dealing with more than one thing: stroke, pituitary tumor, and the most fitting is Spinal nerve degeneration or a spinal cord injury, I would recommend bringing up at least the spinal options to the vets and see what they think.

I've been wracking my brain and I can only think of a few things but nothing fits it 100% so you might be dealing with more than one thing: stroke, pituitary tumor, and the most fitting is Spinal nerve degeneration or a spinal cord injury, I would recommend bringing up at least the spinal options to the vets and see what they think.
He is 18 months. I did bring up the thought that he sone how injured himself between 10am & 4pm that day as that is his fast it happened. The vet said there are no injuries visible in the x rays. If it is soft tissue injury we should see improvement with rest and pain management. My next request will be a full body MRI. Everyone is stumped by the pooping issue, I have to lightly push the poop out. There is alot of poop but he won’t push it out. He has also stopped eating anything hard. I thought possibly tooth I just but X-rays ruled that out.

He is 18 months. I did bring up the thought that he sone how injured himself between 10am & 4pm that day as that is his fast it happened. The vet said there are no injuries visible in the x rays. If it is soft tissue injury we should see improvement with rest and pain management. My next request will be a full body MRI. Everyone is stumped by the pooping issue, I have to lightly push the poop out. There is alot of poop but he won’t push it out. He has also stopped eating anything hard. I thought possibly tooth I just but X-rays ruled that out.
I'm genuinely stumped too unfortunately, I hope the MRI brings whatever it is to light, I'm so sorry I can't help figure it out

We are going back in next week. We are desperate to help Joey. If anyone has any idea what this could be. I am hoping to be armed with more questions and directions to be looking. I appreciate all of you so very much❤️

x-rays should have ruled out a tumor, so I can't think of anything beyond what Kye has suggested - inner ear infection, stroke, PT. Lack of poop-ability & soft poops aren't usally signs of any of those, but if he's not eating normally I guess his digestive system could be off.
There is a Wheel-barrow test for PT - place rat on firm surface. Lift and gently hold up rat’s hind limbs and move gently forward like pushing a wheel-barrow. The rat will normally maintain balance and mobility by walking on its forepaws.
Here is a rat with PT failing the Cheerio test - Pituitary Tumour - Failing the Cheerio Test
You can also try asking at Real Rat Lovers Want to Know: Log into Facebook

Last edited:
So sorry that Joey is going through this.
A PT-related brain hemorrhage could make an asymptomatic rat suddenly show symptoms, though such bleeds usually occur in more advanced cases of PT. Cabergoline remains the long-term drug of choice for PT (barring contraindications); bromocriptine can be more problematic.
Beyond stroke and PT, less common brain or spine afflictions (e.g. other lesions, bacterial/viral/fungal infections, haematomas) can also cause neuro conditions in rats. Whole body MRI should help assess these rarer possibilities.
The soft nature of Joey's poops might be medicine-related, and this may be a good thing given his apparent intestinal motility problem. Has the metaclopramide helped at all with this? Note various injuries of the brain or spine can cause prolonged intestinal ileus.
Clavamox would normally help with an inner ear infection, but may be less effective against infections inside the brain; it may lose potency crossing the blood-brain barrier.
It's wonderful that you are taking such good care of Joey. Fingers crossed that the MRI will bring answers.

First dose yesturday, today he is much worse, he now can not hold his head up straight he is hard tilted to one side and can barely function

In my experience cabergoline usually takes three or more days to make a noticable difference. This drug is known to have possible side effects, including lethargy - I have noticed the latter with some past rats.
Is Joey still on metaclopromide? If so that may reduce the potency of his cabergoline. Rat Guide offers a good primer on side effects and drug interactions of cabergoline:
https://ratguide.com/meds/central_n...agonists_prolactin_inhibitors/cabergoline.phpCabergoline is only effective for prolactin-secreting PTs; fortunately most PTs fall in this category but a small sub-set do not.
Best wishes for Joey.

So sorry for you and for Joey.
This outcome likely weighs against the tentative diagnosis of PT, though it can't be ruled out. As others noted above, his presentation has not been entirely typical of PT, especially the sudden onset. Such onset would of course be typical for stroke, which might better explain his overall symptoms (including loss of intestinal motility). But it's so hard to diagnose neuro problems in rats. Sometimes palliative care is the best we can do. Did your vet consider a corticosteroid to dampen any brain inflammation - this can often provide some short-term relief in cases of stroke, PT or other tumours. But such steroids should always be paired with potent antibiotics to counter immunosuppression.
I've been in your position all too any times with my rat friends. It's a desperate feeling. I hope you can take comfort in knowing that you take such good care of Joey.

Do you think Joey could manage any syringe feeding at this point? Dehydration and/or low blood sugar can cause lethargy and disorientation in themselves. I try giving my sickest rats fruit juice mixed with either yogurt or baby food. If dehydration is a big problem I give pedialyte by syringe.

For what it is worth, I have given prednisone (a corticosteroid) to rats with advanced PT with good short-term effects. Rat Guide also cites possible use of corticosteroids or diuretics (like Lasix) in the event of stroke. Rat Guide section on strokes is worth a read if you think it might apply to Joey:
https://ratguide.com/health/neurological/stroke.php

Do you think Joey could manage any syringe feeding at this point? Dehydration and/or low blood sugar can cause lethargy and disorientation in themselves. I try giving my sickest rats fruit juice mixed with either yogurt or baby food. If dehydration is a big problem I give pedialyte by syringe.

For what it is worth, I have given prednisone (a corticosteroid) to rats with advanced PT with good short-term effects. Rat Guide also cites possible use of corticosteroids or diuretics (like Lasix) in the event of stroke. Rat Guide section on strokes is worth a read if you think it might apply to Joey:
https://ratguide.com/health/neurological/stroke.php
He is on prednisone, we have been giving 3-6ml of fluids with critical care, oatmeal, yogurt, etc blended in. We are hoping it is the medication. He lays there no movement with unless I am cleaning his face, then he will begin to clean his face as well

Back