Pet Insurance

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spookie.cookie

Hey:

What kind of pet insurance would cover pet rat?

I checked out VPI, but is it only for people living in the states? I live in Canada.

Thanks!

i've looked at pet insurance in the UK, and i don't know if its just over here... but the amount i would spend a year on insurance, is just stupidly high compared to how often i would actually take my rats to the vets, and how much i would spend at the vets (i spend £4.50 the other day on 5mls of Baytril). The excess i would pay if something DID happen and they had to go to the vets just doesn't make it worth it at all.

Its easier for me to just put some money away each fortnight into an unused bank account

I've not heard of pet insurance covering anything but dogs or cats yet. I can't imagine them including rats in policies. They'd lose too much money, lol.

Your best bet is to start a vet fund and put a bit of money away each month to save up for the nastier vet bills.

I bought pet insurance for my dog and it wasn't worth the paper it was written on. They rejected every claim and I didn't get a single red cent back on any vet fees. There's always some fine print with ambiguous wording that lets them back out of almost anything. I bet that even if you found insurance that would cover a rat you'd end up like me... feeling like a rat in a maze with an empty wallet....
:gaah:

I think they have limits to the amount they will pay too ... doubt it would be worth it even if you can find one that covers rats ... if they gave much coverage, they would go belly up in a few months.

Several years ago I had VPI, but I'm in the states. If they will cover Canadian residents, I would definitely recommend that company! I had a very good experience with them. They do have a limit on what they will cover and how much, however those claims I did make they covered a sufficient amount that I actually saved money, even after you considered what I paid them for the premiums. What I always did was wait until the rat was about 1 to 1.5 years old or so before insuring them, unless I thought they were going to be really unhealthy earlier. That's about the time health problems might start occurring (particularly tumors in females), so that's why I waited - less time spending money on premiums. The only catch with waiting is that you have to insure them before something does happen, so it's a gamble. If they get sick, then it's a "pre-existing condition" and the insurance won't cover it.

There is no one in Canada that has a plan that will cover exotics. Dogs & cats only.

However, as for pet insurance being totally bunk. I don't agree with that. I have one client that has now had $9,000 in orthopedic surgeries for her dog covered 80% by pet insurance!!

Her co-pay has now been increased (I think they only cover 50% of her claims now due to the high payouts) but it was MORE than worth it.

I have another client whose insurance plan pays for her dog to get a dental with full bloodwork each and every year ($600 value), and while she probably pays almost that in premiums she said she likes having the insurance because she would be paying it anyway now she gets something for her money PLUS has accident and illness insurance.

I have another client whose dog was diagnosed diabetic and had cataract surgery and it was all covered by pet insurance.

It isn't for everyone; assess your financial situation on your own. But I have seen these and so many more instances where people were happy they opted to pay monthly pet insurance premiums.

I have had customers who swear by their pet insurance. But it does seem to depend on which company you go with, what premium you purchase and whether or not you follow their guidelines (I doubt a raw fed animal on minimal vaccinations would be covered, but that's just speculation)

Back