Pet Drinking Fountain

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smilez_n_hugs

I really should look for a dog forum for all my dog related questions but I already trust this forum and the people on it and I know many of you have dogs so I'm going to ask anyways :giggle:

Does anyone use a fountain for their dog or cat? Do you find they drink more from the fountain? I need to increase my little dog's water intake (to prevent bladder stones) and the vet suggested a fountain. My concern is that he doesn't seem any more interested in running water than standing water. So I'm just looking for any advice/personal experiences anyone has with pet water fountains including any brands you love or hate.

Thanks!

I had a fountain for my last cat, many years ago. He seemed to drink more, using it, but it was hard to tell. The fountain did seem to keep the water aerated, which is supposed to help with the taste. If you have the money for it, I think it would be a worth-while thing to try.

I'm sorry I can't recommend a brand--it's been over ten years since I had mine.

If you have the money for it, I think it would be a worth-while thing to try.

This is what I'm struggling with. After his surgery I really don't have the extra money but on the other hand if it is going to save me $1500 down the road by preventing the stones then I will find the money.

Thanks for the info :)

if you can get one free or super cheap, it might be worth trying one. I have tried them several times for my cats and the only cat who used it was my blind, deaf diabetic, he slept right next to it. He loved it!
but well, he was blind, deaf and diabetic, and oh yes he had failing kidneys as well, so he drank a LOT

if your dog isn't attracted to running water, personally I wouldnt waste the money (but like I said, if you can get one free....)

I don't know very much about dogs, but what I found out works well with my cats is to put water in novel (but of course, pet safe) containers and leave them in unexpected places.
If dogs are anything like cats, they'll think they are getting away with something drinking water that wasn't obviously put out for them hahahaha

actually I think it's just the novelty that attracts them. I also give my cat a big stainless steel soup pot full of water, so that she doesnt' need to bend her head down to drink. She seems to appreciate the larger area too, I don't know why. and she much prefers glass or stainless steel to any other type of container ( she won't drink from plastic, for example)

so maybe try some bigger bowls or a big stainless steel pot if you've got one, try putting the bowls/pots or whatever in different spots to see if he likes those better

I'm assuming he's eating a canned food, that will help a lot of course.

oh, another thing to try? save the water that you've used to boil chicken or turkey or even the bones (or both) I had to do this for one cat who wasn't drinking enough, You can add the broth (make sure you've not added any salt to it!) to the drinking water, or add it to his food, so long as he it doesn't interfere with him eating his full meal (although usually it's hard to keep animals from eating too much, some are fussier and may not eat enough. if that's the case, you want to be careful adding anything to his food that would put him off it or fill him up to much to finish his normal portion)

you can also try room temperature water and cold water, to see if he has a preference. Or put an ice cube in his bowl to see if that makes him more interested in drinking

but moving water? I think the odds are he won't care. Most of the fountains make a hum that scares some cats and probably some dogs.

you can actually make something similar with air line tubing and a pump for a fish tank, if you've got fish. Test it out that way, perhaps. but my guess is, other things will work better.

My sister bought one...her cats love it but the dog not so much. I did some research on it and it seems like it's really good for cats but a lot of people claim that their dogs are not so keen on them.
I've noticed that with my own dogs, a border collie mix and a bichon mix, they love the water bowl when it's fresh. So I empty, rinse and fill up the water dish several times a day. Another you could try is giving him an ice cube to play with. When Gypsy was extremely sick, when younger, I had to try and get her to drink and she just wouldn't but she sure loved her ice cubes.
Also, if your dog has a favourite treat, throw it in a large shallow bowl of water for him to retrieve it. He will gulp some water that way.
Another thing you could do is clicker train your dog put his mouth in the water, make it a game. That might encourage him to drink more.

Thanks for all the help! He has been switched to wet food only which I mix additional water in to so that really helps and I am definitely going to try different temperature water to see if that helps. Once the vet up here can get it in he will also be switched to urinary food to help as well. I just pray all of this helps and it's at least a few years before he needs surgery again.

Back