Personal Topic for the Ladies *Boys Beware*

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG... I've never laughed so hard. The reason being, I did exactly that once at my in laws. Sad thing is, I was in my twenties. LOL I hate clean open waste baskets. :gaah:

jorats said:
OMG... I've never laughed so hard. The reason being, I did exactly that once at my in laws. Sad thing is, I was in my twenties. LOL I hate clean open waste baskets.

Oh, don't feel bad!!! It would have gone down the exact same way in my twenties, too! Something happened when I turned 30 though....besides the weight gain, of course....I just don't obsess about what about what other people think any more... about most things. Yay!

Rodentist said:
Oh...another helpful hint...at the end of the cycle, fill it with hydrogen peroxide and let it soak...I do it overnight. There are four tiny holes at the top that get plugged up and the hydrogen peroxide dissolves them and keeps it from discoloring. *Then* I boil it. Actually, I wash it with antibacterial soap, then fill it with hydrogen peroxide and let it sit, and THEN I boil it.

Hmmm... I found this on the Diva Cup official website:

Q. Can I use vinegar, bleach or hydrogen peroxide to soak The DivaCup?
A. Please do not use vinegar, bleach or hydrogen peroxide as these will damage the silicone. Follow the instructions in the FAQ “How do I clean The DivaCup?”.

There is actually a list of Dos and Don'ts for cleaning the cup in the FAQs

My friends daughter just started having her period. When Laurie was telling us about it she asked if we had ever heard of anything like the Diva Cup, of course we didn't know the name. No one had ever heard of anything like that, and we were all a little freaked out about it. It sounded so weird. But now, after getting all this info, I'm a little intrigued! Although I'm sure that as soon as I bought one I'd go through menopause!!

Rodentist said:
Quote:
Q. Can I use vinegar, bleach or hydrogen peroxide to soak The DivaCup?
A. Please do not use vinegar, bleach or hydrogen peroxide as these will damage the silicone. Follow the instructions in the FAQ “How do I clean The DivaCup?”.

Whooops! Never mind! Well, they under estimated the high quality of their product! Five years of hydrogen peroxide and it is still looks exactly like I just got it!

Doh! Just read the FAQ, guess you aren't supposed to use the antibacterial soap either. Also, you aren't supposed to put it in the dishwasher....I don't have one of those, but I alway planned on putting it in there if I ever got one. I have been very abusive to my poor Diva Cup.

Waaait a minute....it also says it should be replaced every year, and if it falls into the toilet, it should be replaced.

Q. I dropped my DivaCup in the toilet – can I still use it?
A.

Anytime The DivaCup is exposed to unsanitary conditions such as a toilet, please replace it with a new one.

Er....exposed to unsanitary conditions? Other than the purpose it was designed for? But...but...if you can boil something for 20 minutes, its not getting any more sterile than that short of an autoclave.

Hmmm I'm going to think about this, I have issues with tampons so I don't think this would be a good idea. I can imagine being very squimish about it in the beginning but I would think after the first month or so it would get easy.

LOL I hate clean open waste baskets.

LMAO every woman's secret greatest fear. I've heard of diva cup and it'd be too frickin' gross... there's no way. Besides, I can't even handle wearing tampons, let alone THAT THING. :panic: The "no period" birth control things worry me though- I wonder how healthy it is. Although it would be nice! But I'll stick with pads, thankyavurymuch, even if a paralyzing fear of clean open waste baskets will haunt me for the rest of my life. :panic:

Waaait a minute....it also says... and if it falls into the toilet, it should be replaced.

Ewwww lmao. XD I wouldn't be stickin' somethin' up there that's been in a toilet for even a minute. :panic:

Best. Topic. Ever.

Wow, I've never ever heard of this. I imagine it'll take longer to arrive in Australia. It still seems really weird to me. Think I'll stick with my good 'ol faithful as it sounds really fiddely. Heck I consider tampons too fiddely for my liking.

I was on the depo shot for over a year, no menstrual cycle for a whole year. It was heaven!! But I I had ZERO libido. :(
...so back to a menstrual cycle. :cry3:

jorats said:
I was on the depo shot for over a year, no menstrual cycle for a whole year. It was heaven!! But I I had ZERO libido. :(
Wow, I've been on Depo for about 5 years and sometimes I can't control myself with the bf :giggle: I think it's the idea of not having to worry too much about preggers and the whole freedom of it, I hope to never have to go back to having periods :sick2:

Many years ago there was something similar. It was not re-useable, though. It was a good alternative on heavy days because it held so much more than a tampon. I recall that it took a while to get the knack of inserting it properly.

The product disappeared and I had forgotten all about it. Sounds like the new version is much better.

I'm bumping this thread because I bought one of these diva cups a few weeks ago and am finally testing it out! It's the weirdest thing.
Now I have a question, the stem always ends up in weird positions and actually pokes into me. Is there a way to stop this without cutting it all the way off?

I used the instead cups as well.... I found them useful as long as my flow was not heavy and I never even noticed I had them in. and as personal as this topic gets... they were great to having intercourse while on my period because there is no messes, well menstral messes.... :oops: :laugh4:

One of my local herbal supplement stores, Healthy Planet, carries products like the diva cup.

I buy all natural pads from them, as conventional ones irritate me something fierce.

Donnamaz, have you tried snipping off all but the last segment? Just enough so there is something to grab? That's what I did to mine. I shortened the stem to about 2 mm.

Plus, don't forget, you don't have to shove it up as far as a tampon......if you do, it will poke more.

I have been using the same one since early 2005. (I am a tad OCD so I have had a back up one, since...er...2005..in case something happens to the first one,) I have abused it by soaking it with hydrogen peroxide every month, I cut off 90% of its stem, I have repeatedly boiled it my boyfriend's favorite pot even though it grossed him out probably because it grosses him out. its still OK. (that's called passive/aggressive behavior, feel free to call my shrink)

Its worth it in the end, and I feel one the oddities of society is that pads and tampons are the only commonly discussed solutions to menstruation. Why is the Diva Cup never introduced as an option? Where I live, you have to order it online. No other option.

Big picture though, whether your motivation is saving the environment or saving money..its worth the effort of getting used to something that is not commonly talked about.

Although it isn't the greatest....I have found it the least lousy solution to the problem....'

chicky82 said:
jorats said:
Wow, I've been on Depo for about 5 years and sometimes I can't control myself with the bf :giggle: I think it's the idea of not having to worry too much about preggers and the whole freedom of it, I hope to never have to go back to having periods :sick2:

I work with a lady who came off the Depo shot after 6 years and now she his having nothing but issues
:(

She just had some minor surgery to basically "clean" up her uterus, she is only 27. While I can see the benefits and fun of not having a period, it just would not sit well with me. That being said I took the pill for 16 plus years and then got the hubby snipped!!!! :happydance:

This whole cup thing is interesting..never heard of it. I loathe tampons, but pads are not a whole lot better. I may look into this further.

I think I figured it out, instead of twisting it when its already inside I twisted (out of tiredness) while I was inserting, it fits like a dream and doesn't hurt! Yay!

My biggest problem for me will be actually using it. I can't even use tampons. I'm very sensitive and just the feeling of something there totally freaks me out. :(

Back