people who sew..........?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petunia

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
where do you get your thread?

and if you make hammocks what kind of thread do you use?

I am using 100% polyester but have found that not all thread is created equal, the 3 for a dollar spools of thread you can find sometimes is awful, it's linty and breaks easily etc

but then I have no stores that I can get to via bus, that sell thread so I've been having to buy it online and pay shipping on top of the cost of the spools
and boy can the prices vary, but they are mostly just very high

does any one know a good source for thread?

and/or does anyone have any extra in white, gray or black that they might be willing to sell me or perhaps trade something for?

I have one type of thread that I use for EVERYTHING. It's called Aurifil, it's 1300 meters per spool (so after 3 years of handsewing I haven't even come close to using half of it). It isn't cheap ($12), but it's super strong, runs easily through all fabrics, and all-around just the best thread I've *ever* used (and I've been sewing for about 10 years now, costumes, quilts, hammocks, you name it).

http://store.sew-sisters.com/stores_app ... em_ID=3462

That's where I get it from - they're in Toronto, but I imagine they ship, or you could find another place that sells it closer to where you live - most likely quilting stores.

I swear by Gutermann thread! I love it and it is the only thread that I have ever used. That being said, I dont know if there are any better threads out there since I have never tried them.
I have never had the thread break or fray.

However it is quite expensive. If you come by a deal though... :)

crumbilina said:
I swear by Gutermann thread! I love it and it is the only thread that I have ever used. That being said, I dont know if there are any better threads out there since I have never tried them.
I have never had the thread break or fray.

However it is quite expensive. If you come by a deal though... :)

ah THAT's the one I usually get and I love it! but it is expensive.

Before this, I'd been getting thread from Thread Art but it does break easily and there's a lot of lint from it, too

This is a great question. I've been using mercerized cotton 1200 yds thread and it's supposed to be stronger. I like it a lot but after sewing for a couple of hours it will start to fray or break. :gaah: That could mean I need to clean the bobbin or change the needle. :oops: I buy this thread at Fabricland. This one costs around $12.00 but with my Fabricland membership card I get a 25% discount. 2 to 3 times a year, the store has a massive sale where the member gets 50% off on almost everything in the store. That's when I go buy my supplies.

I used to use only Dual Duty cotton covered polyester core thread, but then I got this book about quilting and it says to match the thread to the material you're sewing, so if you are sewing polyester fabric, use polyester thread, etc
Since fleece is usually polyester, I figured I'd better switch to polyester thread

What you are supposed to use when you are sewing two different fabric types together, I have no clue LOL

I find it easier to sew cotton fabrics with the cotton thread or the cotton covered polyester, but polyester thread does seem to work better on fleece, it never puckers, pulls or bunches up like the Dual duty thread did sometimes. so I am glad I switched. You just have to be careful where you get your polyester thread because the quality and thickness can vary a LOT !

I think mercerized cotton is one of the hardest threads to use in a machine, but maybe it depends on your machine....?
I've only used that for making pillows and stuff like that, or for hand sewing/mending.

it should be interesting to see what others use and what they like best!

and where are you guys getting these spools with over a thousand yards on em?? largest one I've ever seen was about 500 yrds

You must be getting those big cones? or sumtin?? :giggle:

LoL, it's actually not that big - it's about 1.25" thick (the diameter of the spool and thread, I mean). Maybe a bit taller than the Gutterman spools overall, but it's got a different shape to the spool which probably accounts for most of the difference.

I do like Gutterman for some things (especially color matching), but for other stuff I find it's useless. The Aurifil I get at a local quilting shop - it's used for sewing the pieces together (not for the fancy quilting that's visible, though the grey I contend is invisible in almost all circumstances).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back