People are Morons-Part 2!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mercurydust

What is it with nasty people always having to make sure you are completely aware of their opinion? Honestly. I was having a conversation with a co-worker the other day during a slow period, she had some questions about rats. So we are talking and this customer is listening and she butts in to tell us that the only good rat is one caught in a trap. I just looked at her blankly for a moment, in utter disbelief that this person just said that. She almost smirks like her word is final and and written in the book of god or something....oh hell I just wanted to smack her with a three foot rawhide bone! I kept calm and just said that I know quite a few people that would disagree with that and that none of my rats belong in a trap. Of course-being the type of person she was she pushed it further by saying again "ALL" rats belong in a trap and are discusting. She emphasized the ALL. What a witch! :gaah: But I got snooty, smiled....and said that it's okay because my rats wouldn't like her either. I think that pissed her off because she got back behind her cart and sauntered away.
Later that day...a little girl was inquiring about the chinchillas. And again some woman chimes in (different woman) and makes the coment that the only really good thing chinchillas are for is making coats-in front of children! :swear: People in general make me angry when they behave like this which makes it a good thing I am usually unarmed....LoL.

Eurgh.. some people are so ignorant and narrow minded. They're the ones who should be locked up!

Whenever I hear a customer say "eww" about a rat I set 'em straight and they're usually quite pleasantly surprised :)

I hate that. The owner of the business I work at likes to mention everytime that he is around me that he needs to check the mousetraps....This is after I begged him to use humane traps :(

My other co-workers are pretty good, I have a picture of my ratties on my desk and I hear a lot of, awww, they are actually cute! One girl was disgusted, but kept asking about the ratties and finally asked me to bring one in :p - So I did and she fell in love :)

My boyfriend's cousin likes to make it clear that she can't understand why we would "live with filthy vermin".

I just take one look at my babies and I can't even imagine how someone would think that they are disgusting....I don't know.... :gaah:

My coworker actually worked in a lab before her husband was stationed here. She used to put lab rats (by the hundreds) to sleep and cut out their beating hearts, create slides of their various organs, and ship them off to hospitals. Needless to say, we had a HUGE clash when I found that out... Not because she worked in a lab, not because she worked with lab rats... She insisted they didn't feel anything, and I insisted that C02 was not a painless way to die, especially not while cutting out their HEARTS. Beating, alive, hearts. That was the first time I got worked up enough at work for my voice to raise. She insisted they were disgusting and gross, and was appalled that I actually kept them as pets and valued them. Anyway... She is my partner, the one person I work with every day, and so eventually she got very used to the idea that I loved my rats as much as she loved her kids, and that *maybe* they weren't so gross. She asked a million questions, I showed her pictures, and she even bought me fleece for Christmas, to use specifically FOR the rats. When I lost my boys and cried nonstop at work, she understood and actually cried with me. Someone who declared she hated rats and that they were gross and vile felt empathy for me when I lost my babies. Now... she has Davis in QT at her house! I never would have imagined it...

I guess my point was... Some people have prior experience with rats that are very UNLIKE our pet rats... They don't know what rats are *really* like. I try not to get too offended when someone like that appears in front of me, spewing their ignorance. They simply don't know. And frankly, if they aren't open to it, I don't press it. It will only drive them away more in the end. Best bet is to say "Uh huh." and then move on to someone who is worth your time.

I've always claimed that (most) people are a bunch of dumb animals..... :roll:

I'm currently owned by 2 dogs, 4 ratties and one human male- called a "boyfriend", :giggle: in the past I've had a total of 18 ratties at one time, I'm on my 9th dog since I was a kid and I've had 2 rabbits. I don't have room for a horse or I'm sure I'd have at least one of them too....

I respect others peoples opinions, I really do. But when someone makes it seem like their opinion is the general consensus and they are above all right...it ticks me off. Not everyone likes the same things. I am not fond of people having snakes as pets but I keep that to myself.
People who waste time being discusted and fearful of rats are truely missing out on some of the best companionship and laughter and love they could ever experience.

mercurydust said:
I respect others peoples opinions, I really do. But when someone makes it seem like their opinion is the general consensus and they are above all right...it ticks me off.

I feel the exact same way. (And the same on the snake part too). I get where you are coming from.

Back