People and their silly dislike of rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crumbilina

Today I had to rush Dizzy to the vet. She has nasty pulmonary abscesses and she was blue and gasping this morning. Naturally, that would stress out any rattie guardian so its been a rather stress filled day. Luckily I got an appointment with Dr Munn in TO who happily saw her and helped me figure out a way to treat her since almost everything has already been tried.

In addition to Diz gasping and being blue, a variety of other stressors happened on my way to and from the vet so as one could imagine, by the time I was on my way back to my apt in the elevator, I had had enough - plus I had not eaten all day and I can get rather.... snarky when I have low blood sugar. AND of course, only 1 of the 3 elevators were working, so you have to take what you can get. If there was more then 1 I would have waited for an empty elevator, but since I waited 10 minutes for 1 with 3 people aleady in it, I figured I would cut my losses and just take it. I knew 2 of the people on the elevator, the other I did not, they all wanted to know what was in the carrier

*sigh*

I work up all the pleasant I could because I knew I was going to need it and say "oh, they are rats"

Then one woman makes a grossed out face and says "eiew, I don't like rats"

Without even blinking or hesitating, what do I say?
"oh, well I dont think that they would like you either so don't worry" and I turn around to the door - I kinda wish I had seen her face!

The whole elevator went silent. Luckily she was the first stop. She mumbled something that sounded like "have a good day", the doors close, and the elevator moves about a floor away. The 2 people on the elevator that i know just start laughing hysterically! I smile, apologize and say its been a very rough day and I havent had my breakfast or tea yet (This was 3pm). They then asked if she (Diz) was sick, and I said that yes, I had to rush her to an emergency appointment in Toronto. They were nice about it. The one gentleman (He has a little dog and is SO nice) commented about how each person has their own thing and how he wouldnt know what to do without his little puppy. It was finally my floor and I get off, tell everyone to have a nice day and finally get into my apt. Put diz and smudge back in their cage and lie down with my tea and my breakfast-lunch.

LOL Looking back, the elevator portion of my day was soooo funny. It is very out of character for me. Usually I just sink into a corner and act invisible. I just got so tired of people and their rudeness today. She deserved the comment, besides, she made one first.

Just thought that I would share :wink:

Sometimes it works to my advantage... I take a LOOONG streetcar/train/busride to get to munns(two hours almost) and usually when I have to say whats in the carrier, people start moving away. ;) Great on the transit when everyone is sweaty and smelly!

I try to laugh off rude comments, but it is hard especially when im already cranky. I use the "It's okay, My rats think you're gross too." Comeback all the time.

Scythe said:
Sometimes it works to my advantage... I take a LOOONG streetcar/train/busride to get to munns(two hours almost) and usually when I have to say whats in the carrier, people start moving away. ;) Great on the transit when everyone is sweaty and smelly!

I try to laugh off rude comments, but it is hard especially when im already cranky. I use the "It's okay, My rats think you're gross too." Comeback all the time.

LOL Yes, rats would be useful for creating space on public transit!
Usually I look at them and shrug and tell them that its "their loss" or "more for me". Or if they are a decent person and I'm feeling like I "want" to talk to them then ill try and convince them otherwise. I've been successful before. I just try to be nice to the people in my building. It causes less issues later.

This time though, I was so irritated with people that I didn't stop myself. Some jerk decided to park lengthwise across the garage door both when I left and when I got back... and they took their time getting back to their stupid truck to move it for the people who wanted to go into their home. I had to wait for them to stop their conversation before they would move. Then waiting for the elevator.... LOL I had no patience left by the time I got into the elevator.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone! I saw her eating and drinking tonight! This is something she hasn't been doing since friday :D

Good on you Jenny! It bothers me a lot when people make judgements like that on rats, I always feel the need to stand up for them (the rats). The mindset that mice and hamsters are 'okay' but rats 'aren't' baffles me too. It always get me that people say EW right off the bat, especially when there are plenty of people keep more strange and exotic animals in their homes, and if you keep anything as a pet, you must really love it, no matter what it is.

LOL, that was funny. :giggle:
I am just like you - pretty mild unless I'm really tired and cranky and lose the inhibition that normally tempers the tongue.

Back